The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default this bamboo worth anything?

my neighbor brung this over to show me. says it was friends gpa's? told him i post it and see. this thing is old. it looks like fly line from nowadays wouldn''t even fit though the guides? also the rod tip is kinda rusted. here is a few pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV33145.JPG (82.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg SNV33156.JPG (81.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg SNV33159.JPG (78.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg SNV33150.JPG (79.5 KB, 96 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: this bamboo worth anything?

GMF,

If there is no makers mark you would need a bamboo pro to ID it. It has been re-varnished as I can see the cork was not spared in the process, I don't recognize the rod. With all the intermediate windings it reminds me of an old Hardy Palakona but the reel seat and grip are not correct. It is most likely a copy of a Hardy rod dating in the late twenties to late thirties.

That's my guess, I'm no expert;

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2009, 01:20 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ok thanks I will tell him next time I see him. what did they used to use for line back then? these guides were tiny!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Silk, braided silk dressed with mucilin or any number of dressings of that time. The rod would not be worth much on the market, maybe $25 maybe more or less.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM

ok thanks

Old 06-14-2009, 06:39 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Here's what that old flyline looked like....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old fly Line 1.jpg (66.7 KB, 42 views)