The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 PM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road
Default which will be a better boat?

7 foot pontoon boat

http://montana.craigslist.org/spo/1170620615.html

Thanks

colton
Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Default Re: which will be a better boat?

Brandnew to pontoons so if there **** just say neither I would like to spend around 100-300 for new or used
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

Colton,
It might help if you list your weight....as I know some big guys who would not look twice at something unless the weight limit was well above what they spin the scales at.

If you're brand new to pontoons, do yourself a favor and try to go to a store that sells a few different models and do some looking.
Also, spend a lot of time researching them online.
This is NOT something you want to buy and then use as a dust collector b/c you found something better AFTER you dropped some coin on this one (or that)
Good luck!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 PM

ok thanks for reminding me!

Iam 6'0 about 175 lbs
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

They work well and are stored easily over winter by breaking down and going in the basement.

I have a Fishcat 13' and love it. A two man boat will obviously carry two people or you can do as I do and use the extra deck space for gear and supplies when you take extended trips. We also have an Outcast Cougar 8' solo pontoon boat everyone who uses that one likes it too.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi coltonwynn,

Buck's Bags makes a very good boat and were one of the early makers. The boat you are looking at is a lower cost model. If you are fishing in a lake or very calm water you should get $100 of use. The seats are very comfortable. I don't think this boat has an anchor and you will need one in a slow river. The foot rest across the front may be in your way when you get into the boat. You may find that aggravating. I don't think you will do much better for a hundred bucks.

Frank
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I have the current model of the Bucks Bags Alpine and I love it. There's a lot to be said for having a boat that is small enough that you can easily load in your pickup or carry around without needing any help or breaking your back. I'm 5'8" 175#.
One thing I might suggest if you get the Bucks Bag is try and keep the pontoons at least partially inflated all the time as the vinal bladders don't like being deflated and folded for transport or storage. At least that was the case on the newer models.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 PM

smallmouth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonwynn View Post
Brandnew to pontoons so if there **** just say neither I would like to spend around 100-300 for new or used
The Buck's Bags Pontoon is by far your best bet. The other boat is really low end and is a department store version of the real thing. You can't go wrong for a hundred dollars on the Buck's Bags model. But if you get serious about this style of fishing you will sooner or later be upgrading to at least an 8 footer. Outcast makes some nice boats. I have a 10 foot Fish cat and couldn't be happier.

God Bless,
Don