The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM

GLuXuRy is on a distinguished road
Default Double Haul question

Hello

Long time lurker ... First time poster

A little about myself ... my dad got me into fishing when I was 4, he took me to a lil public pond where you have to PAY for the fish you caught, with my luck I caught a big one (think he had to pay by size and weight ) and I was hooked on fishing.

When I was 7 my dad started getting into flyfishing, with the father son thing going on he got me into it too. We both retired our spincast setups ever since.

Now im 26, but im no PRO at fly fishing, being that I live in los angeles we make at minimum 2 trips a year to the Sierra's, more trips if we have time.

When I was younger I remember seeing this guy at our flyfishing club casting using the double haul. And I always wanted to learn. Been watching some youtube videos, I understand the fact that you pull/load your line on your back cast, but on your forward cast do you pull/load the line also ? Do you also release line during your foward cast ? Thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Double Haul question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLuXuRy View Post
When I was younger I remember seeing this guy at our flyfishing club casting using the double haul. And I always wanted to learn. Been watching some youtube videos, I understand the fact that you pull/load your line on your back cast, but on your forward cast do you pull/load the line also ? Do you also release line during your foward cast ? Thanks in advance
You pull the line to speed the line up thus loading the rod more, on the foward cast you pull the line at the point you feel the line start to pull, the slack is then let go so that you can shoot the line for more distance

The whole point is to get more load on your rod and pulling on the line will do that if timed right

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Hi GLu and welcome!
I'm in no way an expert caster let alone in the practice of the double haul but have you checked this site?

Double Haul Basics
Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the info Chris

And thanks for the link Colotrout

David
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

David

This is a topic that has been discussed quite alot here on the forum. You can check the many threads in the Fly Cast topic. Here is the link to one by mcnerny that provides a youtube video by Mel Kreger on the double haul. Very good video Learn the Double Haul Cast

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi David,

Yep, I'm gonna say Welcome to the forum and now that you're not a lurker any more everyone who is a serial poster (like me) will want to hear from you more.

Chris got you going with the answer, what I will ad is that the "pull" of the line is "the haul" and so double haul means just that; to pull on both forward and back casts. If distance is the goal, shoot line on both forward and back casts to get the length and load you need in the air before making the final haul on the delivery power stroke. When you let go on the final forward stroke you make an abrupt stop of the rod tip and hopefully shoot all the line that is lying at your feet. As I do this delivery I make that "abrupt stop" of the rod with the tip high and as the running line "shoots" out I smoothly lower the tip and point my rod at the target out in the distance. When you get it down you can cast out the whole fly line and actually send backing through the guides.

I do not have to do this often while I fish and I don't find it relaxing at all either but it's a good trick to have in the kit for sure. I find myself doing it every season on the water with almost all my outfits just to make sure I haven't lost the touch.
I wrote a story about a day when knowing the double haul was the only thing that caught some fish. The link pasted here will take you to the thread and maybe you'll enjoy the tale. Sometimes You Have to Work With What You've Got;

Welcome out of hiding,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
David

This is a topic that has been discussed quite alot here on the forum. You can check the many threads in the Fly Cast topic. Here is the link to one by mcnerny that provides a youtube video by Mel Kreger on the double haul. Very good video Learn the Double Haul Cast
I checked the fly casting FAQ section but it only had one thread

Next time ill just use the search button like i do on all the other forums .. thanks for the link

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi David,

Yep, I'm gonna say Welcome to the forum and now that you're not a lurker any more everyone who is a serial poster (like me) will want to hear from you more.

Chris got you going with the answer, what I will ad is that the "pull" of the line is "the haul" and so double haul means just that; to pull on both forward and back casts. If distance is the goal, shoot line on both forward and back casts to get the length and load you need in the air before making the final haul on the delivery power stroke. When you let go on the final forward stroke you make an abrupt stop of the rod tip and hopefully shoot all the line that is lying at your feet. As I do this delivery I make that "abrupt stop" of the rod with the tip high and as the running line "shoots" out I smoothly lower the tip and point my rod at the target out in the distance. When you get it down you can cast out the whole fly line and actually send backing through the guides.

I do not have to do this often while I fish and I don't find it relaxing at all either but it's a good trick to have in the kit for sure. I find myself doing it every season on the water with almost all my outfits just to make sure I haven't lost the touch.
I wrote a story about a day when knowing the double haul was the only thing that caught some fish. The link pasted here will take you to the thread and maybe you'll enjoy the tale. Sometimes You Have to Work With What You've Got;

Welcome out of hiding,

Ard
Ard

Thank you for the clarification, in most videos it looked like they were releasing some line on the forward cast, but i couldnt tell, thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

David

Here is a nice casting video to watch, This Gal can really throw some line. In the first half of the video you see the double haul in action.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks Davo
I'll watch it when I get home from work
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
The whole point is to get more load on your rod and pulling on the line will do that if timed right
Are you sure that is correct? I think the haul lessens the load on the rod. (I may be wrong here though!)

Here's why I say that. If I don’t haul and then aerialize more and more line the rod starts to get overloaded until it becomes really sluggish and eventually I have to use brute strength to cast the line.

However, when it gets to a point when it is clearly overloading the rod, if I then kick in a haul the rod feels much less loaded and I can aerialize much more line with the rod.

What is more, I can double haul with a pool cue (rigged up with eyes or strapped to a rod top section) easily. The rod isn’t even bending. No loading needed.

I know this is more advanced topic than the original question asked for but I thought I'd try and clarify the principles behind the cast. (if Im correct of course!).

Colin