The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 AM

dgm43 is on a distinguished road
Default Medium priced reel ($200-$300)

I am interested in a fly reel that I can use for both steelhead and bonefish. I would like one with good line capacity and a smooth drag. I am having difficulty on line getting honest reviews. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medium priced reel ($200-$300)

I would run, not walk, to the nearest Orvis Battenkill Large arbor reel, either a IV for 8 wt or V for 9 wt...or whichever balances your rod for you. I use these reels (I have more than a couple of them, testament to how much I trust them and use them) for bonefish and atlantic salmon particularly, but also for bass and pike. 25 year warranty, Orvis customer service, etc.

Having said all that, all of my Battenkill's are the english-made version. They are often available on ebay, usually for about 150 bucks, lightly used. I cannot testify to the quality of the newer, asian-made (I believe) version. but I suspect its a very good reel, too.

reeling,
Gary

A few of my babies ready for bonefish action:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I have handled both; but only fished with the English made LA. The English made battenkill LA feels far superior; the metal is quite a bit thicker etc. I liked it in the trout size. The new model felt VERY cheap and flimsy; the spool flexed pretty easily. Not sure that I would trust that, I think they tried to make it too light. The offset drag on the English battenkills is a rather small disc; I'd be crossing my fingers if I ever saw too much backing flying off of there and wanted to crank it down.

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

You can get a Galvan Rush-8 for $290 maybe even cheaper. It is the same drag as thier top of the line Torque, and they are very smooth.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

people seem to really like the Lamson Lightspeedand the Nautilus 7/8 FWX Reel, iv never fished either but have messed around with both at Fly Shops. Then again there is always Allens Alpha reels, they are fantastic.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Such a drag!

No need to cross your fingers! My english-made Battenkill LA's have slowed 10 pound bonefish and 20 pound salmon, no problemo. And virtually stopped an 18 pound hen salmon two years ago when I needed to keep her out of where she wanted to go (10 pound tippet helped, too)!

Interesting observation about the new reel; have never held one, guess I don't need to now, either!

Gary
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm43 View Post
I am interested in a fly reel that I can use for both steelhead and bonefish. I would like one with good line capacity and a smooth drag. I am having difficulty on line getting honest reviews. Any suggestions?
Here is a short list:

Lamson Guru 3.5 ($229) - Same sealed drag system as most of its higher end siblings. The drag system starts up smooth and has a wide enough range to take on Mr. Bonie. I used to own a Waterworks ULA 3x that has the same drag system as the Guru. I did not have drag issues up against bonefish.

Galvan Rush 8 Lite ($290) - Great synthetic drag system that has a wide enough range to take on Mr. Bonie. It is a Galvan Torque that is not as machined. I have used a Galvan Torque 8 up against a Steelhead in fast water. I did not have drag issues.

I cannot make comments on the Orvis models mentioned except that they seem to have a good reputation.

MP
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

I use a Harris Solitude IV for steelhead sealed drag also. Awesome reel and looks great. It has a silent drag though which some don't like.
I believe they are also good for salt.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I like my Ross CLA's...

Dan
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I would suggest the Nautilus 7/8 FWX Reel. Great reels for fresh and salt water.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM

dryfly87 is on a distinguished road

Ross Evo 4 for $325 or a CLA 4 for $230. The CLA 4 has beefed up components from the smaller sizes. This makes for a better quality reel for larger species. I have worked in a fly shop for around 7 yrs now and I still think the Ross CLA is the best reel you can buy for the money. Good Warranty too.