The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Places that we Fish

I was at one of my favorite trout streams today, Broadhead Creek in Canadensis, PA and I got to thinking that we all talk together a lot on this forum, but we haven't had a lot of time to get to know what type of water each of us likes to fish.

So, I thought I'd start a thread that let's everyone show the other forum members the places/types of water that we fish or like to fish best. I'll put in the first installment and we'll see where this thread goes.

This is Broadhead Creek; it's fed by multiple steep-grade tributaries and at its tail it becomes part of the Lehigh River, which empties into the Delaware River and eventually ends up in Chesapeake Bay. The Broadhead is one of the best known trout streams in the Poconos and it never fails to impress me (and it gives up a goodly number of fish, too; all catch and release water).

This pic is from about midway on the main stem of the Broadhead; close to the site where Jim Leisenring and Pete Hiddy were working out their soft hackle and flymph patterns in the '50's and 60's. This was a mild water day; this river can really roar after a good rain when all the tribs are emptying into it and being blown-out is just part of getting used to fishing the Broadhead. I really like fishing the base of the falls and the riffles.

Click the image to open in full size.

Another section; a little quieter and with some good runs and deep pools.

Here's one of the tribs. This is Stoney Run. It's a very steep gradient small creek and if you're looking at this picture and thinking "Brookie", then you're thinking the right way!

And, of course, even die hard fly fishermen can't live by fish alone. So, after a fun day and some good hook-ups, here's where I head.

Let's have a look at where you all like to fish.

Pocono
Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Places that we Fish

My favorite place is the Savage River in Western Maryland. It is the tailwater from the Savage River Dam. It is catch and release and a good stretch of flyfishing only. (Minimum to keep is 18" browns, 12" brookies and any size rainbow. The browns and brooks are naturally reproducing, the rainbows escape from the reservoir above the dam. It is filled with boulders of every size, quick runs, slow runs, smooth deep pools and everything in between. To walk in the river is like walking on greased canon balls, it is very slippery and treacherous in spots. The river is aptly named and very unforgiving sometimes but it is filled with fish, very finnicky fish but it's a great place to go!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 06-14-2009, 11:54 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Troutslayer,

How did you befriend the wiley coyote?
Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Here are a couple of new spots I checked out this weekend. This is why I love the Sierras.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

This is my favorite creek. I have not fished it yet this year as it is still too high.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photos thanks a lot to all
Allan this trib looks great!
Sasha....so many places for trout to hide or wait for the flies in your favorite creek!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:36 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

my favorite place to fish, just before sunrise. not a very good photo, i shouldve waited until just AFTER sunrise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0612.jpg (104.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Nice shots everyone! I've posted these pics before, but here are some of my favorite places.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

These are the kind of places that were made for flyfishing! Great pictures!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)