The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 PM

bigfish44 is on a distinguished road
Default Cross Country Fishing Trip on my Motorcycle

So I quit my job to take a fishing trip. It's been a life goal of mine for a while to take a cross country motorcycle fishing trip and I figure that if you wait until circumstances are perfect than you will never get stuff done... so I just figured that now is as good of a time as any.

I am going to take this opportunity to fish all of the places that I have always wanted to go to but never have. I am looking for suggestions for any can't miss places to go.

I am planning to head out to South Carolina first and then work my way north and west. I am going from one coast to the other. The trip is going to be from late June through July. I am bringing my fly rod with me. I am planning on doing mostly fly fishing but I love all types of fishing.

The reason that I am posting this is because I am working with a tight budget. I can't afford expensive guides and hotel rooms. I am hoping to find some people to meet up with to fish at the places I go, and would love it if you would be willing to put me up for a night. If you or anyone else you know might want to meet up for some fishing or put me up for a night please let me know Just send me a message if you’re interested.

I am going to blog about my journey on the FishingRecreation.com fishing blogs in case you're interested in seeing how my journey goes.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cross Country Fishing Trip on my Motorcycle

I would kill to be able to pull something like this off. Maybe when I retire!!
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff: Your the man! What a great idea, good on you for having the guts to quit your job go through with this, should be a great adventure. I'll PM you with some good water that you will want to hit in CO and WY.

Larry
Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea,all the best for your trip we'll follow you on your blog.just a little question...how are you going to carry your fishing equipment?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you plan on coming through nor cal shoot me a pm.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

Outstanding! don't think my old Norton would make it though...but sure am jealous. What are you riding? and how ARE you handling the rod(s)?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:38 AM

So space will definitely be an issue... I am driving a little 250 cc honda rebel. I am definitely bringing my 3 weight elkhorn rod that breaks down into five pieces. That's my preferred trout rod even for 20+ inch fish. I can handle big fish better on it than my five weight just because the drag is smoother. But I will bring my 5 weight that breaks down into 4 pieces too just in case i break the 3 weight. I have already broken it twice (though neither time it was on a fish). I had saddlebags attached to my bike that I am hoping will hold most of my gear. I am putting the rods, waders and boots in a backpacking backpack that I'll carry with me.

Packfancjh - there's a good chance I will be in Northern CA so I might send you a PM at some point - thanks for the offer.

Larry - I'll be in touch.

Thanks everyone
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I would love to do that. Too many responsabilities. You're lucky to be able to live one of your dreams. One question though: why a road bike and not a dual purpose? Seems to me it would get you to more places. Just wondering.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

If you want to fish in MD, let me know. There is so much well known trout water in Penn that you need to make some stops there. Also, a Buddy of mine and his wift always go to the Delaware River (NY) on their anniversary and have tales of 20+" Browns.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM

The reason I won't be doing it on a dual purpose bike or a bigger cruiser bike that would be a lot better for carrying gear is because the little rebel is all i have so i have to make it work. I got it for pretty freaking cheap and it only had 86 miles on it.

I hadn't really planned on spending any time in the northeast. I was planning on heading out to SC and then working my way through some places in NC and the ozarks and stuff like that. I am kind of interested now though. I will think about it.