The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Storage Ideas for Fly Inventory

This is probably so stupid a question that no one will respond, but just having gotten back into fly-tying after a long absence, I'm curious about what "systems" more experienced tiers use for organizing excess fly inventory tied during off-season. Before I tied I just bought what flies I needed, usually from local shops on site, so storage was just in my carried fly boxes. However, now tying a considerable inventory in anticipation of the upcoming season, it's obviously impracticable to store them all in my vest fly-boxes.

I recognize that some manufacturers offer modular "suitcases" holding a number of fly box interchangeable inserts which would address this situation. However, these all seem to require use of that manufacturer's proprietary fly-boxes, and the ones I've seen I don't care for as being too bulky.

The two "systems" that come to my mind are either large boat-type fly-boxes storing all my excess fly inventory in some sort of order, or a large collection of my favorite fly boxes (which are pretty small, since I fish mainly tailwaters with #18+ flies), either filled with the same fly assortment, be it nymphs, emergers, dries, etc., or more likely a mixture organized by time of season so that instead of re-stocking my vest boxes, I'd just replace the entire box with a suitable one from my inventory.

(I must say, after re-reading this, the thought "I need to get a life!" comes to mind)
Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Storage Ideas for Fly Inventory

I use those plano boxes ya pick up at walmart, the clear ones that run from 2.00 to 6.00. They are flat so they stack nice and are clear so you know whats in them with just a look.
Bear
Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I second the plano/flambou boxes........

I use a "tackle box" made by them that holds 4 boxes.......looks like a black rack...and has a handle for carrying. This rack is stackable too.

I fill each rack with certain "types" of flies. Each box is subdivided into each "Tye/pattern"

I label all my boxes using a permanent marker.....the writing "erases" easily with some alcohol and papertowel.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly2Fish,

If it was me I would use the boxes as mentioned but just for storage. Use them to fill the boxes you are going to take on a trip. There is no need to take all the flies you own on a trip.

For a trip you could also take one of the big Cliff boxes with some back up flies. It wouldn't be a box that you would necessarily take on the water with you. The Cliff box would be back at the motel just in case you lose a stream side box or run out of the flies you might need.

Frank
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Storage Ideas for Fly Inventory

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I hadn't thought about all the various Plano-type boxes and holders; looking over them at the local Walmart, they seem about ideal for my needs. I noticed one in particular that was two-sided, and depending upon how you wanted to configure the adjustable compartment dividers, totaled up to 20 compartments. I don't know how well it would fit into a Plano case-holding bag, however.

Frank, I'm a big fan of Cliff's various boxes. My first was a Cliff's Super Days Worth, which will hold everything I need, ranging from the smallest nymphs to streamers. However, it's a bit bulky for the way I fish now, so I'll use it for the "re-stock" box I carry along on a trip and leave in the car/motel room for refilling my other boxes later, which are mainly the smaller Cliff's Days Worth boxes which easily fit two or perhaps three to a normal vest pocket. One thing I really like about these various Cliff's fly boxes is their use of magnetic "flooring" on one side to keep my tiny tailwater midges from flying out of the box when windy.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

read everything ........post often

Hope it helped.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

I keep mine i the hardware boxes with the sliding drawers. I can mount them in the garage and they are visable for when I go out anywhere so I never forget to restock even if it is while backing out to leave. I also use them to keep most of my materials to tie with I got a label maker and just mark what it is and it peels right off to relabel if needed. I do carry a extra walmart plastic box in the truck as well just in case. The hardware drawers come in lots of sizes and they work great. Also, I seen a guy keep his smaller flies in one of those weekly pill carriers. it only holds 5 or so flies in each hole but they are small and fit in vest and still can carry 30 or so flies with little space. Good luck to ya.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

ooops, never mind
Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I use boxes like tuperware or any thing that i can put a fly into. I have even taken flat tackle boxes and placed stuffs in there. For me, there is no place safe. On a nail in the wall, old shot gun shell boxes, even the cat gets stuffs placed on here from time to time
Old 06-28-2009, 05:51 PM

docdahlonega is on a distinguished road

Ditto the Plano boxes. Minimum cost, maximum visibility and portability. Also easy to keep organized.