The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default Dyna-King Trekker Vise

picked up a Dyna-King Trekker Vise about a week ago and was cleaning and lubing it today. on the back side of the jaws where it slides on the cam there is a hole in the actual jaw. is there suposed to be a pin/ball bearing and spring in this hole?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Jeff's Nymph O is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dyna-King Trekker Vise

I have the same vise. It's a great vise, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I just checked mine and it has the same hole and there is nothing as far as springs, pins or any other mechanical part. My guess would be that it used during the machining process to hold it in the lathe or milling machine.

Good luck with the vise. I've had mine for a while now and have absolutely no complaints at all. I can CRUSH a streamer hook in it and then go right to a #22 with no hassle at all.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Great vises; I use my buddies quite a bit though I have a Renzetti 4000 myself. I tried to tie on a Barracuda once; that vise is SOOOOO BIG!! It felt like some kind of joke. Like I was wearing clown shoes or something. I don't know why a vise would ever have to be that large. It was nearly impossible to do any delicate work with the rotary function due to the sheer effort that it took to turn the shaft. The trekker on the other hand... A++++. After using my friends, I'd trade my 4000 for one in a heartbeat.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

Because it looks cooler on your desk silly. But seriously it is a great vise, I had one and then moved on to one that a rep gave me. But it is great.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

thanks for the replies. i wasnt sure if i lost something when i cleaned it. i went from a cabelas economy vise to this one and of course its like night and day, i love it.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

No worries...mine is like that too. As a side note, i LOVE my vice. I have the barracuda jr. and it is totally awesome. Best in any class IMHO
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

For what it's worth, I've used one for years, great vice.
I did buy midge jaws for it, as well as a pivot joint so I can tip the rotary head up and down for a better angle. To me, this was the final touch.

Jim