The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default Whatís a Biot?

Iíve looked everywhere to find out what a biot is exactly. I know itís some type of feather or part of a feather from a goose. I would think that other birds have biots too. I know I can buy the goose biots at Bass Pro or on online. If I knew what they were it might be fun to try out other types of biots.
The dictionary doesnít list the word, other than to say itís a place in Europe. There is also Biot Glassware and a BIOT Symposium at the University of Louisiana. This is my favorite definition so far: A Biot number ( Bi ) is a dimensionless number used in non-steady-state heat transfer calculations.
Just in case you need it someday, hereís the formula; Bi=hl/k

I know, I'm being a bit silly. But, Donít you just love esoteric words?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whatís a Biot?

Biots are the short, stiff parts of the leading edge of the large wing feathers. I save and tie with goose, turkey and duck feathers. If you look at a Prince nymph, the wings and tails are generally goose/turkey biots.
The wild goose biots I tie with are grey and nearly translucent. They're easy to color with markers.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Biots are the short, stiff parts of the leading edge of the large wing feathers. I save and tie with goose, turkey and duck feathers. If you look at a Prince nymph, the wings and tails are generally goose/turkey biots.
The wild goose biots I tie with are grey and nearly translucent. They're easy to color with markers.
Well, yah, in fly tying. It's also British Indian Ocean Territory, like that Naval jewel Diego Garcia.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

WAITAMINUTE... I thought it was when one company was in financial trouble and another one came in and took them over!!

okay, okay... sorry business humor =)

Best info I've ever seen describing WHAT a biot is and how to properly use them:

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Oh and to follow up on your original musings... ALL BIRDS have biots, that is ALL BIRDS THAT FLY or are capable of flight. A bird's wing is made up of two main sections- the primary (front) and secondary (rear) sections.

Biots, as stated by others, come from the LEADING EDGE of the feather, but it's the PRIMARY feathers, not the secondaries (the 'larger' ones). And the longest primaries are the ones with the most biots... as you get further back on the wing, they become more scarce.

Biots from smaller birds, all the way down to songbirds, (as I'm sure you can imagine) make good tails, antennae and legs on smaller flies. Biots from larger birds (ducks, geese, turkeys, peacocks) make good body materials (see Harry's turorial that shows how they can be used edge up and edge down).
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

In fly tying I've used both goose and turkey biots in my tying. The goose material is usually a bit stiffer and shorter, while the turkey can be quite long and not so stiff (also not as strong). I use biots for tails on nymphs, i.e.: many stonefly nymphs; prince nymphs, etc. But, where I really like them is as abdomen bodies for both nymphs, emergers and dries. I usually tie them 'fuzzy' for emergers and smooth for most dry flies and/or nymphs.

Here are a few pics:

Tie in fuzzy for emerger abdomen:
Click the image to open in full size.

Tie in fuzzy for dry fly abdomen:

Tie in smooth for dry fly abdomen:

Tie in as tails and wings on nymphs: (this is one of Charlie Craven's ties and pics)

There you have it. I'm sure there are many more uses for biots, but these seem to be the most common. I wouldn't be without biots and, in a variety of colors, as I consider them a valuable tying material.

To learn how to tie either fuzzy or smooth depends on how you mount and wrap the biot on the hook. There is a notch in the wide end of the single biot where it stripped off of the stem. Usually, notch up (towards hook eye) means fuzzy, notch down means smooth. Another tip to remember is to make sure you soak biots before using them as they tend to be brittle. You can tie them without soaking, but I have much better success when they are a bit more pliable. Last tip, make sure to lay down thread or very sparse dubbing on the hook before wrapping a biot, and use cement under the biot in order to make it durable - nothing worse than a biot coming unwrapped after a few fish because it wasn't glued in place.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Kelly.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, this helps a lot. Now I know what to look for when I see whole feathers laying around or at craft stores etc.

Here's one more definition for the word Biot:

BIOT = Bio-Med Technologies, Inc. operates as an oil and gas exploration company. The company is based in Bangkok, Thailand.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Whatís a Biot?

WAITAMINUTE... I thought it was when one company was in financial trouble and another one came in and took them over!!

Too funny

Here's one more definition for the word Biot: BIOT = Bio-Med Technologies, Inc. operates as an oil and gas exploration company. The company is based in Bangkok, Thailand.[/QUOTE]

This too.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

those are some nice segmented bodies! I am gonna do this! found a few places that explain biots more with pix!
http://www.invictaflies.us/Articles/all_about_biots.htm
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...objectID=30558

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.