The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 AM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough
Default spinners for tying

Bass Pro shop has some woolybuggers that have spinners on them. Does anyone know where you can get them for tying your own?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:41 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: spinners for tying

I have seen them in Cabelas & Bass Proshops catalogs.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 AM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

Thanks. Found them in Bass Pro and got them ordered.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I actually fished a fly with a spinner on it for the first time saturday, and wow those things work. It will twist your tippet like crazy, but it sure attracted the fish to the fly. It would help to get the smallest swivels you can find and put one between your leader and tippet.

Some important considerations for tying with them though:

I think you'll find they will work best on hooks with straight eyes, rather than downturned.

I also recommend putting them in front of a bead that will provide a smooth surface for it to rotate on.

And make sure you give it room to rotate. I would also superglue that bead in place behind it so that it doesn't creep forward and interefere with rotation of the prop.

I'm going to get some Mustad 34011 hooks in size 6 to tie prop buggers on. This hook is 3x long and stainless with a straight eye, and should work perfectly for this application.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:25 PM

I agree on the twisting the tippit. I bought some last year and the fish really went for them. I thought that it would be fun to tie on buggers and even on some other flies. Thats a pretty good idea on tying a swivel between the leader and tippit. I will give it a try.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:16 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Mike Birdsong up at Idabel, OK has a spinner fly featured in last weeks (April 10) edition that looks like a neat fly. Don't know whether there's a tippet twisting problem with one like that or not. There's also a fly known as a Pistol Pete that uses a propeller on the front of it.