The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 PM

kyflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Best thing to tie clousers with

What is the best material to tie clousers with?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:33 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best thing to tie clousers with

Hey kyflyfisher,

I like to use both bucktail and Ep fibre(congo hair from Fly tyers dungeon) for my clousers both work well and give good movement, hope this helps!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

For the salt I use buck tail most of the time, ultra hair if I need to tie long.
For black bass, nothing beats marabou.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

I use bucktail all the time. Just me. Never tried anything else except maraou on some small ones that slayed te 'gills. Don't last long though I've heard good things 'bout Congo Hair though. Heres the link:Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies | Saltwater Fly Tying Materials Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

KYFF-

I tie them with bucktail and use a couple strands of Krystal Flash left just a bit longer than the bucktail- 1/2" or so. ("Pearlescent" is a good color because it goes with everything)

Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon for thread

on a saltwater hook like a Mustad 34007 or 3407 (they're less expensive). That way I can use them in FW or SW.

For eyes I use different lead eyes to sink fast or slow. But just be aware that casting these can be a bit tricky, and they can shatter a graphite rod if they hit it while false casting, so don't overdo it on the weight.

Keep them sparse (easier to cast, sink better, and better action in the water)
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I tie most of mine (Size 2-6) almost exactly like peregrines explained, except I use the hourglass brass eyes instead of lead when I want heavy ones. The brass is shinier, tougher, centers up better, and is non-toxic.

I tie many more clousers with bead chain eyes than with brass though. I tend to go about one size larger than "normal" for bead chain eyes, to have a very pronounced eye and a fly that produces more vibration int he water.

For clousers size 8 and 10, I've started using calftail along with krystal flash. Its a little finer for better movement and has a nice natural sheen to it.

I recently acquired about 6 color of the SLF hank material and thought I was going to be thrilled with it for small clousers. It turns out that the stuff fouls really bad, and I won't be doing many clousers with the stuff any more. I think it could be amazing for small surf candies though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I I tend to go about one size larger than "normal" for bead chain eyes, to have a very pronounced eye and a fly that produces more vibration int he water.
That is a great idea - I'll have to try that!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I usually use bead chain for eyes and I also used mostly bucktail and krystal flash but lately been using the congo hair . a cheap EP alternative and it also have better movement. also they got cheaper flashabou too at FTD that I been adding and its works very good!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
That is a great idea - I'll have to try that!
The only drawback to it is that you catch even more vegetation on the eyes in spots where that's an issue. I run into it when we've got dead grass on our saltwater flats and keep telling myself to start hot gluing the heads, but I never do. Epoxy would work as well, of course.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Mark's suggestions of leaving the Krystal Flash longer than the bucktail on the center sides is right on. This is how Bob Clouser recommends they be tied.

Frank