The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default TigerMusky and Streamers

Well I have yet to try for Tiger Musky and this is my first attempt at tying big flies for the toothy critters but ideally it is a goal for 2011 and you have to start somewhere, So I thought I would post some picks and see what you guys think?

Just a couple for starters.....
Click the image to open in full size.

And these are variations of my latest trout streamers I have been playing with…...

Day dreaming of throwing big stuff, being all I have been throwing lately are tiny midges......
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: TigerMusky and Streamers

Watson

Nice looking ties!!! I would chuck those trout streamers on the South Fork of the Snake. Big brownies should love them!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Hokey BeJeebers! What weight rod are you throwing these dudes with? And what tippet size/leader length? These must be tough to get turn over on a cast, and even tougher to 'pluck' out of the water...

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Oh... and yes, NICE flies! =)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have never fished for Musky, but I'd fish those. If they swim as good as they look, you will get grabs for sure.

Just to wet your appetite, I just put this video in the video section.

MP
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Sweet Tie's. I got my first T musky last summer on some flies real similar to those. There a blast to fish for, You should do fine.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome Ties! What sizes?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:13 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Very nice ties.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Hokey BeJeebers! What weight rod are you throwing these dudes with? And what tippet size/leader length? These must be tough to get turn over on a cast, and even tougher to 'pluck' out of the water...

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Oh... and yes, NICE flies! =)

I can't speak for Watson, but for the trout Streamers he's tied,(figure they are about the same as many I use), your looking at a 4'-6' level Fluoro leader in the 12-14# range. I think Davo would concur.

Lifting them out of the water isn't normally problem as long as you finish your retrieve fairly close to the rod. With big streamers your not looking to achieve a real tight loop as you would fishing a dry, often times it can tend to be more of a lob cast, sometimes not real pretty.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I can't speak for Watson, but for the trout Streamers he's tied,(figure they are about the same as many I use), your looking at a 4'-6' level Fluoro leader in the 12-14# range. I think Davo would concur.
Yes I do concur. I build my own leaders for streamer fishing. Nothing fancy is needed when fishing streamers. My length varies from 4-6 ft, It starts with 2-3ft of 25lb fluoro followed by the same length of 12-14lb fluoro.

As for casting, sometimes you end up rushing and throwing to much line for the weight and you have to lob your cast. I prefer to rocket my casts. It is easier if you are effective at shooting line as you need to strip in to about 15' to 20ft before your cast. You want that fly to hit the water hard. You want every fish with in range of my fly to hear it hit. The object is to get them to look up, see you fly and attack. Either out of hunger, fear or territorial aggression you want the fish to attack your streamer so let em know it's there!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Watson: Very nice work on the streamers, they look killer!

Larry