The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Longbowman is on a distinguished road
Default Getting flies tied

I have a fly pattern that a local gentleman ties. He said it's registered under his name but he won't tie a bunch up for me at any price. The pattern is called the Neutria. It's a fantastic go to pattern in which I've probably caught 80% of my trout on it in the past 10 yrs. The gentleman who came up with it and ties it will only give you a couple now and then but he's 80 now and looking pretty frail. So, how would I go about getting this pattern matched and tied?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting flies tied

I could probably look at it and get pretty close. The name of the thing throws up a red flag though. I'm wondering if there is actually some nutria fur or underfur, and I sure don't have any.

Posting pictures could get you alot of info, but we'd also understand if you don't want to give the old guy's secrets away.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

ck out these links... Is it one of these???
Nutria muddler - A favourite night fly for sea trout in the salt - Global FlyFisher

FlyTyingForum.com - Some Nutria Emergers

FlyTyingForum.com - Nutria Tube
Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I could probably look at it and get pretty close. The name of the thing throws up a red flag though. I'm wondering if there is actually some nutria fur or underfur, and I sure don't have any.

Posting pictures could get you alot of info, but we'd also understand if you don't want to give the old guy's secrets away.
Cliff: If you do a search on Ebay for Neutria fur there are a number of folks selling the fur.

Larry
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Aah, well, ya see, I've been in no hurry to acquire a chunk of swamp rat.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Aah, well, ya see, I've been in no hurry to acquire a chunk of swamp rat.
Cliff: I have a muskrat fur from Aroostookbasser (from one of the fly swaps) and it looks pretty similiar to the nutria fur (both are in the rat family!).

Larry
Old 07-02-2009, 01:53 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Cliff: I have a muskrat fur from Aroostookbasser (from one of the fly swaps) and it looks pretty similiar to the nutria fur (both are in the rat family!).

Larry
Hence the name MUSKRAT.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

As Cliff mentioned, you could probably get very close just from looking at the fly. If you had to you could always take the fly apart and see exactly what it has and where.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-02-2009, 02:54 PM

PAMike is on a distinguished road

ok now we need to see a picture
Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Longbowman,

I am going to assume you don't tie your own flies. This may be a golden opportunity to learn how to tie. You might approach him and ask him to help you learn how to tie flies. Ask him to help you pick out a vise and materials. The object here is to learn how to tie flies and to befriend him. At 80 I bet he can use the companionship. Some where along the way he may share the recipe.

As to this special fly, all you have to do is get a hold of one or two. Two would be better. Use one as a pattern and cut the other one apart to see how it is tied. Any experienced fly tyer can probably tie one with out too much effort.

Frank