The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 05:24 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Two Killing Patterns In The UK

The Cormorant and the Cat's Whiskers. Two very lethal patterns for trout in the United Kingdom. Does any one in the states(or anywhere else in the world) know these patterns-have tied them and tried them? If not I've got the patterns/recipes. Simply e-mail bydthiel07@yahoo.co.uk and I'll pass them on to you plus any special instructions though the tying is fairly simple
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Two Killing Patterns In The UK

I've heard of the cat's whiskers being a crappie killer here in the states.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Didn't get a chance to try them on crappies last summer, but the smallmouth bass certainly loved them plus a surprise three pound perch in Banks Lake, Washington

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Mind you Lancer09 if you mention crappies I would think the cormorant would be better for them as I remember having a lot of fun catching them as a kid in South Dakota on tiny black gnats and a cormorant has a peacock herl body and black marabou tuft wing so I Know black is a colour they like very much. If any forumite has used them please let me know what you caught, if anything and where? Thank You, (anywhere but the uk I mean).
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the first pattern mentioned above, but the second is a 'Ohooo Ya.'

If you chuck fluff for Steelhead two other patterns that really work (or variations of same) are the Cascade's and Flamethrowers. Do these up on a double hook (prefer the silver Salars, but pricie!!) and they work a treat.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Yeah Fred-those two patterns you mention are also very good over here for atlantic salmon, sea trout(migratory browns who go to sea, obviously) and the occasional trophy brown. Unfortunately the brits haven't cottoned to the idea of introducing steelheads over here-rainbows and the occasional brookie are the closest they seem to get and with all these European Union regulations they're frightened to introduce anything that's not native to these waters anymore. I've tried suggesting bass either large or smallmouth to be stocked, but it all falls on deaf ears or I'm told they already have enough predator species as it is. If they Actually CAUGHT one of the species we're taling about they might change their minds, but I doubt it! Mind you the furore ignited when a Snakehead was caught in Leicestershire last year is still being felt! Bet they'd be fun to catch on a fly!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Two Killing Patterns In The UK

Just how I got introduced to the two. Saw them in a post on FFF (years back) and said ???? Oh ya?

A couple of the UK fellows sent me a few of each for winter Steelhead fishing and it was a match made in Heaven. First weekend on the Chetco (SW Oregon) and 8 hook-ups/landed .. a few more still have (past tense now) one planted in their jaws.

The closer you're to the 'Salt,' go with the red's, move up stream (upper Rogue) go for the darker versions. Puppies just flat work!

fae
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Can you post photos of both flies?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Hi Blue Dun-I'm fairly new to this forum lark-can just about type but you can get videos of how to tie both flies at--"www.videojug.com/webvideo/how- to -tie-a-cormorant-fly and same website-how-to-tie-a-cat's-whisker-fly". Hope that helps as far as materials, etc. "Tight Lines"
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

How's about this
How To Tie A Cormorant Fly When Fly Fishing (Fishing)

How To Tie A Cats Whisker When Fly Fishing (Fishing)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM

Thx for the help Mojo. Anyone willing to pass on some of their personal killing patterns so us uneducated anglers in the uk can take advantage? Trouble is by the time I pay out for licenses and fishing waters here there ain't lots of money left for the essential tying materials when you're limited to a pension.