The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default New to tying

My first fly was a midge because it was easy. I've tied several different colors midges but haven't used any of them yet. I've also tied one streamer and a couple of micro jigs. Caught my first fish on a micro jig I tied, so being I didn't lose it, I retired it to keep since it was "the first". Lost my first streamer yesterday after catching a few fish on it. I'm to blame for that for not re-tying after a few fish. Knot eventually slipped, end was all curly. Tying is definitely enjoyable and I can already see that I don't have enough materials to tie with.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to tying

Buddy... you'll find that you'll NEVER have enough materials =) After more than 40 years, I can't walk out of a fly shop, craft store or thrift stor without SOMETHING that's gonna turn into flies!! Worse yet, still can't drive past roadkill without slowing down...

Welcome to the obsession.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've been looking at my daughters cats for potential material.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM

allarchers is on a distinguished road

I only started a few years ago. It is an awesome thing to hook up on a fly of your own. And yes, you never have enough tying material.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

if your looking for merino wool dubbing in blue or green then i have some i can sell you CHEEP! i say in blue or green cuz theat the only color thermals i own. it seems to gather in my bellybutton after a day of work wearing them in the cold. if you need other colors you might be able to dye it.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

DON'T START DO NOT START. really though, It's a blast. I wish I had retired my first fly that I caught a fish on, but hey, I might do it when I finally catch a trout on one.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Buddy... you'll find that you'll NEVER have enough materials =) After more than 40 years, I can't walk out of a fly shop, craft store or thrift store without SOMETHING that's gonna turn into flies!! Worse yet, still can't drive past roadkill without slowing down...

Welcome to the obsession.
Thought about what I said and wanted to issue a caution. Get some containers to store your stuff in and look in older threads for information about how to package and treat materials.

And while I mentioned roadkill and you mentioned pet hair, if you DO COLLECT OR USE any of these types of materials, make sure they are washed and/or packaged in airtight containers (freezer weight ziploc bags AT MINIMUM) label them with the source and date, and watch them closely to see if any bugs hatch in the packages... and if they do... THROW THEM OUT!!

If you start buying stuff in craft stores, learn to package a SMALL quantity of it to put in your tying cabinet/kit and store the balance somewhere else (a cabinet, the garage, wherever) but keep a list of what you're buying so you remember you have it!! Store these in ziploc bags, too and label them with source and date so you know how long you've had it.

The stuff can REALLY get out of hand if you let it... in all seriousness, I have 2-30gal garbage cans of bagged fur... NO, I'm NOT kidding. Most of these are tanned fur collars from thrift stores and yard sales, but there are some 'planks' of deer and bear in there as well. I have 6-24qt containers of bird skins, 2-24qt containers of deer, elk, bear, 2-24qt containers of 'fancy plumage', 2-24qt containers of yarns, threads and wool, 1-24qt container of capes and saddles, and a bunch of 12qt containers of other 'stuff'.

And these don't include the stuff I keep in my active tying station

I'm fortunate to have some friends who hunt (I don't any longer) and I've gotten some CHOICE materials through them... lots that I use, some that I swap, and well, some that get stored

Buy what you think you're going to use... save you money and buy high quality materials, don't bother with the cheap junk and DON'T BUY ASSORTMENTS or GRAB BAGS- you'll end up with a bunch of "what they hell am I gonna do with this?" stuff.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Yeah I know the feeling about roadkill though primarily don't live in rural area now, but when I was in South Dakota last year it really annoyed me the number of pheasants and white-tailed deer killed on main roads and just left to rot. When I was a lad in the midwest I lived in what's claimed to be the pheasant hunting capital of the world-eastern South Dakota and saved all the skins and feathers from upland game birds, waterfowl, foxes, rabbits, cottontails, badgers, minks, even part of a mountain lion tail I was given from a local game warden who knew I tied my own flies. I had it all stored in two large wooden barrels complete with lots of mothballs, even studied taxidermy so I could get it right as to tanning and storing the stuff. My error-leaving it behind at my folks house when I joined the Air Force in 1963 and got sent overseas. My family moved to eastern Washington in 1966 and when I arrived there on leave in 1968 I asked my Mother where my stuff was so I could tie some flies and offer up the excess for sale as I had more than would last ten lifetimes saved up. "Oh- we didn't have space for all that Junk!" was her reply. She'd thrown every bit of fur and feather away. Don't we just love our mothers some time? I think I've just about forgiven her after 43 years!