The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Secret to Properly Securing Hair to a Dry Fly

I've just started tying Elk Hair Caddis. I can't seem to cinch the hair down enough to keep it from rolling around the hook. I take 2 loose loops and then pull hard so the ends flair. I then take 2 or 3 more turns. If I don't maintain tension the rest of the time I'm working on the fly, the hair eventually rolls around the hook. I end up breaking my thread about 50% of the time trying to cinch it down hard enough or trying to keep tension. I'm willing to do the chicken dance, burn some incense and worship to the god of the Salmon River just to learn the secret to this mysterious ritual.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secret to Properly Securing Hair to a Dry Fly

Take a look at Kelly Galloup's video on tying a Zoo Cougar streamer, if your not interested in that pattern, fast forward to the point where he is starting with the collar (about the 2/3 point) and describes how to tell good hair from junk. He has a great discussion on properly securing hair.
" title="Kelly Galloup's Zoo Cougar - The Weekly Fly - blip.tv" target="_blank">Kelly Galloup's Zoo Cougar - The Weekly Fly - blip.tv

Larry

Larry
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

At your tie in point keep increasing pressure on each wrap while still keeping your hair pinched on the top of the hook (don't let go, yet). Lift the front of the hair and tie a few turns of thread around the shank in front of the hair. Now move back to wrap a few turns over the original tie-in. Now you can let go of the pinch.
The thread breaks will become more and more rare over time. I've seen even the best break thread occassionally.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to both of you. Mcnerney - The video had some really good info (including how to identify a good piece of hair). Jimmie - I hadn't thought about tying in in front of the hair. I'll give that a shot.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

After tying your two loose wraps and then cinching them down, pull up a few of the butts and throw a wrap through them, pull up a few more, another wrap, and so on until you've made it to the hook shank. Now, wrap a couple more solid wraps around the original tie-in pint of the hair and it will be good to go. I also usually use a small drop of cement on the hair butts after trimming.

Kelly.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the Galloup video. I learned a lot from that. I wish we had videos when I started tying.

Frank
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the Galloup video. I learned a lot from that. I wish we had videos when I started tying.

Frank
Frank: How true, it makes it so much easier to watch someone do a tie than trying to replicate a tie for a magazine article like we had to do back in the day.

Larry

Larry