The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM

driftaway is on a distinguished road
Default magnifiers

Well I have reached an age were i need magnification to help me tye. i have tried the glasses but need to be a certain distance for the proper focus. For those that use mangifiers what do you use. I am looking for something that will not take up half my desk in size.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: magnifiers

I finally found a pair of over-the-counter reading glasses that work well for me, providing 1.75x magnification. I'll occasionally use a 3x magnifying glass mounted on a suitable base that I can position anywhere around the fly to suit me. Unfortunately, I'm starting to consider a 10x stereo microscope for the small stuff, such as sz. 20 and smaller.

the764
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I love this combination magnifier and light, costs around 100 bucks:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Both the light and magnifier on goose necks connected to very heavy base, easy to adjust, etc. Couldn't tie without it.

Last edited by gt05254; 02-17-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

If you get one I'd strongly suggest one with the flex arm. I got one built in next to the light on my OTT, and it's almost unusable for tying. You have to move the whole light to a position it's in the way.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I use a magnifier on a goose neck that is specifically made for attaching to a Peak vice that works great. In addition I have readers (I think they are 2.5) I use for the general tying stuff, but when I really want to see, like when doing wire wraps I always use the magnifier. Getting old sucks!

Larry

Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 PM

thanks for the info. The glasses dont work for me as I have to be the right distance to get them to focus. I like the magnifier on the fles arm. This way i can positions it the correct distance that will focus for my eyes.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

If you google "fly tying light and magnifier" or just "fly tying magnifier" or any derivative thereof, you'll find an array of choices. I'd go for the max magnification you can get. I tie with both "cheater" eyeglasses (probly 2.75 mag.) AND the magnifier I pictured above at the same time. With that unit, I rarely move the light, but often move the mag. glass around. Its a unit worth the money. But it doesn't travel easily. So I bought a Carson Magnifly for traveling. Less expensive, not nearly as good a light source, but the magnifying glass gets the job done.

Yours, wishing I had 20 yr. old eyes again,
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 02-17-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot a decimal point.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:51 AM

I looked at the one that Cabelas has, it comes with built in LED'S but I would like to see it in person. I have the McKensie flex light on my vise but that thing gets plenty hot and I have burned myself quite a few times. so If I could get rid of it at the same time with a magnifier and light combo it would be great.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a jewelers lamp available at Home Depot $29.99. I have two of these the other is still in storage in Colorado. I could buy this one here cheaper than shipping the old one up. I use a 40 watt spot bulb in it and it also provides the light source for all the flies I photograph. I have seen lights and magnifiers that run as high as 99.99 but this one I have is hard to beat. You can see the weighted base in the picture, it has a little storage tray sort of made into it and I keep paints, wax, and other fluids there out of harms way.

Do your wallet and your eyes a favor and stop by Home Depot or Lowe's and look in the lamp aisle for these.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway View Post
The glasses dont work for me as I have to be the right distance to get them to focus. .
Reading glasses come in different powers and you can find ones that work at most any distance