The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Mayflies are tied WRONG!!!!!!!

I've been lookin' at mayfly nymphs on google images and have come to the realazation that most mayfly nymphs are tied wrong. If you look at the nymphs, the have many "gills" along the abdomen,and around six distinct legs in the thorax. Also, the tails are longer and sparser than those on a traditional nymphs, and the wingcase isn't as distinct as portrayed on most nymphs. The bodie is also much more heavely segmented and isn't segmented as widely and distinctly as portrayed on traditional nymphs. Probally, at least in my opinion, the most realistic traditional nymph is a Pheasent tail nymph. Tied correctly, thats is. Four strands of pheasent tail tied in long for the tail, then wrapped for the bodie, which is heavely ribbed with fine diameter copper wire. The thorax is made of peacock herl, then the remaining butts of the pheasent tail are folded over the herl to form the wing case. Finally, six to eight pheasent tail fibres are tied in, half on each side of the fly, tips facing the hook bend, to form legs. Then whip finish and cement.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Mayflies are tied WRONG!!!!!!!

Sorry, I logged off for a couple of minutes and couldn't edit my former post or I would. I am workin' on a mayfly nymph to fit the real thing, and am baseing it off of th Hares Ear, but am makin' some changes. Will post pics and pattern when the development is finished. Just a couple more tweeks and I should be done. So far I have:
A. Changed tail material
B. Changed ribbing material
C.Changed wing case material.

I am lookin' for legs right now, then I should have a completed fly. Anyone who has an idea for a fly that would fit the suggestions in my previous post, tie one up, or, if you don't tie, post your idea to the best of your ability and I'll try to whip one up, if I have the materials. This is meant to be a process to develop a better mayfly nymph, so feel free to add any in-put you want. Who knows, we may just develop a NAFF Mayfly Nymph
Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

I know fish go to schools but I still don't think they can count. If the pattern has the correct amount of legs, gills, and tails but has no life to it I don't think it will fish well. I'd rather have a pattern with pulsating fibers that give the impression of movement and life then to have it be correct in its anatomy. Nothing wrong with trying to tie things realistly but I don't think if you don't, you can say they are tyed wrong. Depends what you want to do with them.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrob View Post
I know fish go to schools but I still don't think they can count. If the pattern has the correct amount of legs, gills, and tails but has no life to it I don't think it will fish well. I'd rather have a pattern with pulsating fibers that give the impression of movement and life then to have it be correct in its anatomy. Nothing wrong with trying to tie things realistly but I don't think if you don't, you can say they are tyed wrong. Depends what you want to do with them.
I agree with Schrob. Flies with movement look more alive than perfect anatomical replicas that don't.

Another thing thing to keep in mind is that nymphs live on the bottom. So you'll need to fish them on the bottom. So you're likely to get hung up alot, and will likely break flies off. Unless you're a college student that doesn't drink or something, I doubt you've got the spare time to tie dozens of dozens of perfect nymphs.

Unless, that is, you use up potential fishing time to tie flies, and that's just retarded. Soft hackles and hare's ears work juuuuust fine.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

there are many different kinds of mayfly nymphs out there. Its hard to imitate each one exactly because we would have tons of flies so we have to be less imitative so we can actually imitate most of the mayfly species.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If they catch fish how can you say they're tied wrong?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Movement and the appearance of life are the most important thing to a good nymph pattern. In most cases the fly is fished where the nymph will be tumbling along and the fish just grabs it...That's one of the reasons a GRHE is a good pattern, it looks enough like the real thing. My $0.02 worth.

Dan
Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mayflies come in many shapes and sizes. The pheasant tail is a great imitation for many nymphs, and together with the gold ribbed hares ear you can cover a lot of bases, but before you dismiss other nymph patterns that have worked so well over the years, remember that what a fish sees and keys in on underwater may be very different than a snapshot of a nymph above water. The shape and size of mayfly nymphs can also vary quite a bit, as well as how they tend to be fished, which also has some bearing on how they're tied.

The nymphs of mayflies can typically be divided into four types:
Clingers like March Browns and Light Cahills are built to live in fast water and typically are very flat top to bottom with fat heads. They very often split their wing cases on the bottom or on the way up, and can be very effective fished in the film or mid water column.

Crawlers, found in softer runs and riffles, like Hendricksons and Sulfurs are short and fat. They are often heavily weighted to fish on the bottom in fast water.

Swimmers, like Isonychia are long and skinny and can be imitated by old favorites like Prince Nymphs, Zug Bugs as well as more imitative forms. They are excellent swimmers and are typically stripped relatively fast to imitate the naturals.

Burrowers like many drakes (Eastern Green Drake, Hex, Brown Drake etc) have elongated shapes and prominent gills and are found in silty slow water sections. They are large, and often are tied with articulated with lots of ostrich herl.

Many nymphs begin to darken their wing cases prior to emergence, when they tend to be most active and vulnerable to trout.

The illusion of life, movement, and incorporating triggers- a bit of flash or hot spot, might be more effective in many cases than super realistic patterns that may lose a lot in the water. For example a scruffy looking hares ear may actually fish better than a molded super realistic plastic nymph that looks more like the natural.

There are also many features- like the 10 abdominal segments on most nymphs, that may be lost on trout that as far as i know can't count. There may be better imitations out there, but don't be so quick to dismiss stuff that has worked well over the years. As always testing should be left up to the fish- let them decide.

mark
Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Steelhead don't take this all the wrong way. If you want to tie something more realistic go for it every now and then I'll do it also. The tyer from England- Paul Willock, gets up to $2000 for some of his flies. Now if you can get that good and sell them for half that who cares if they catch fish. Post up what you finish, I'd love to see it as I'm sure the others would too.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm not talkin' "realistics", just a slightly more realistic imitation. I know mayflies are many different colors, but why does the Hares Ear Nymph work so well in one color. True, there ae variations to beat the band, but the Hares Ear in the natraul bunny is great. Why not tie a fly the same color as the Hares Ear, but slightly more realistic. Just about every argument you guys have thrown at me is dead on, I was just throwin' out an idea. I appreciate the input. Keep it comin'. I should have the pattern completed very soon.