The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default First Flies in Years On My New Regal Revolution

As I mentioned before I had started to tie years ago, but I quickly gave up after trout season that year. So this year I joined the California Fly Fishers Unlimited and I'm now taking their beginning fly tying class.

These don't look very good, matter of fact I tied the nymphs in class last night while wearing contacts which is something I'm starting also and unfortunately I could not see too well.

The midges and two olive Wooly Buggers were tied at home with good light, a magnifier and wearing glasses one day and tonight new contacts that I have good vision with so I can't make any excuses for them. The black Wooly Bugger I tied in class last week.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 02-17-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Flies in Years On My New Regal Revolution

Tom: Pretty nice work, those will catch fish! Keep it up!

Larry

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Tom: Pretty nice work, those will catch fish! Keep it up!

Larry
Thanks you for the kind words Larry!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Tom,

You will jet right along being in a class. Contrary to popular beliefs I will say that being good at tying flies is simply a matter of applying yourself to the new craft. As far as being critical of things you make while at your vise; the Internet and this business of posting pictures of our flies tends to amplify our feelings of insecurity.

I see woolly buggers for sale that are just like the ones you are tying so it appears you are as good as commercial with those so...................... When you get to dry flies don't overlook learning the classics. Flies like Cahills, Sulfurs, Ginger Quill, Blue Quill, and others will train your hand and eye and hands to such extent where making simple things like Elk Caddis and nymphs will be like vacation for you.

Nice tying there

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks Ard...I will say that I was quite pleased when my instructor was so surprised that I picked up the whip finisher and was able to use it right on the first try and then continued to practiced and really like that tool now. I've got a pretty big one though so I think I'm going to buy a smaller framed one to try.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies Tom,agree with Larry they should catch fish.I'd better go back to class too...never used a whip finisher in my life
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Hey Tom, looks like you haven't missed a heartbeat after many years!! They will catch fish, nice work!!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Those are good. The thing that impressed me the most was the eye was clear on every one of your ties. That usually takes awhile.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 AM

Thank you so much everyone. I'm quite surprised at all the complements, I do really appreciate it allot. After all those years I'm a bit more mature and am more able to sit and not become frustrated when something doesn't turn out as I'd like. Back then I was an even less experienced fly fisher so I think I gave up tying thinking when a fly I tied didn't catch fish it was, because I didn't do a good job tying and not just the fact that I had/still have allot more to learn about fly fishing.

Last edited by FlyBum; 03-03-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Very nice ties FlyBum glad to see you came back to the craft. With the classes and practice you will be in the grove in no time. By the looks of the pictures you are well under way those flies will fish for sure!

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-