The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
Default Dubbing Problems

When I tie flies that call for dubbing it always goes on the thread too loose and when I try to wrap it the dubbing slides up and down the thread. What are some fixes for it or am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dubbing Problems

Try using a smaller amount of dubbing and only roll it through your fingers in one direction, don't go back and forth with it.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Waterboy,

Are you using wax on your thread? If not that will make things a lot easier. Another good solution is to use a dubbing loop. Here is a link on how to make a dubbing loop. After you form the loop you open it and place your dubbing in the loop. Then close it and twist the loop to tighten it. With the loop loaded and twisted you can now wrap the dubbing around the hook. Do a search on Dubbing Loop and you will find a lot of information and how to use it.

Frank
Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

A lot depends on the material you're dubbing with & the thread . If your using a long stranded poly dubbing, it's slippery & harder to get a tight loop with. Some of the other synthetics are a pain in the a*- also as are some furs.
Shrob gave you good advice..use less material.... If you think you have just enough material take 1/3 off & spin that in one direction only. The point is that a few more wraps of dubbed thread are easier to handle & look better on the fly than an over size wrap.
Sometimes you can trap a long fibered material under a wrap of thread, pull it down the thread & twist it on in ONE direction. If you are twisting back & forth your just mashing the material against the thread. Also try the wax it might make it easier. I know a lot of people don't use it but it does help when your using slick materials or threads..

Good luck & I hope this helps
Neil
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great advice from the others...Remember you can always add more dubbing...Another thing you can try, wet your fingers; and roll in one direction. Good luck and keep trying...

Dan
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Great responses, but I agree with Frank's suggestion.

Try a dubbing loop. It not only makes it easier to dub, but from my experience it produces a tougher fly. (i.e. the dubbing is locked in with a loop)

In my earlier years of tying I took several classes & the instructor (a master tier) always used a loop & made sure we were all shown how to tie flies using one.

It's not hard at all, give it a try.

Tie One On------------------<*))))))))><
Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrob View Post
Try using a smaller amount of dubbing and only roll it through your fingers in one direction, don't go back and forth with it.
Dubbing 101 right there. I still remember when I first tried to use the stuff and had your same problems. I asked the wise old guru at the fly shop to show me, saw the tiny wisp of fuzz he pulled off and used and knew instantly I had been attempting to use about 8x more than was necessary.

Also try starting with a finer dubbing like superfine, rabbit, or possum. The coarser natural fibers and slick synthetics are a little tougher to work with.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Just saw a new one (for me) on the internet. I was watching a guy tie a caddis puppa. When it came time to dub the body he split his thread with his bodkin and laid the dubbing in the slit. I don't know if it takes a special thread. I'd be afraid to try it because of thread I break now.