The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough
Default Pet Inspired Patterns / Uses

OK - I have read a few posts about tyers using their pets fur or feathers. I had a wonderful cat named bootsie who had amazing fur. She is long gone now - but I still have some hair in a dubbing dispenser that I use for a bootsie version of a hares ear nymph.

So - Lets hear from all of the tyers that have used a pet of some sort for tying purposes.
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet Inspired Patterns / Uses

Oscar the Budgie
Click the image to open in full size.

The hairwing on this Alsation Spey is made out of.....yep Alsatian tail hair.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

my cousins cat is great for grey dubbing so he has a lifetime supply of grey
Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

My cat, Sysco, her hair is very soft, I use it in the same way as rabbit fur. A simple grub or Rat Tail Maggot pattern work great. She is orange tabby and well, when dubbed it a nice maggot color. These little grubs work great on pan fish.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

The very first time I ever tried to tie a fly, I set up my vise with a hook and realized that I had no tying material except thread. I looked around, saw my loyal dog "Toby," a golden retriever, looking up with an excited look that seemed to say, "Try me!" So I did. I reached down, cut some rear flank hair and tied my first fly. I fished the fly in a local pond but snagged it on a bush in the water. I waded out, retrieved it, and have since enshrined it for posterity. Of course I call it the "Toby Fly."
Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We had a pet rabbit once. It died a natural death years ago, but it some ways it seems like it's still with us

Just don't mention that to my wife
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Fur from my sisters black lab Shadow and my parents red mutt Cassie have both found there way into the coffee grinder I use to make dubbing. The natural fur adds a really buggy look to a blend of synthetic yarn from the craft store. Here is a scud tied with Shadow and Cassie fur in the dubbing.
Cab's Olive Scud

Cabot