The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly tying Stuff Storage

O.K I guess the " How do you store your rods"' poll has run it's course so I'm now wondering how everyone else stores their Flytying equipment & supplies. & how do you separate them as to category & do you use mothballs or something else to protect stuff from critters.
I store mine in various size plastic boxes & try to keep fur dubbing, tailing material, deer & Elk hair, Synthetic dubbing, necks, Flashy stuff, yarn, & other feathers in separate labeled containers on a bookshelf next to my tying bench. Some of the time I even put everything back where it belongs after I'm done tying .
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly tying Stuff Storage

Quote:
Some of the time I even put everything back where it belongs after I'm done tying .
Alas, this happens too infrequently at my bench. I tend to tie to the last minute and things have a tendency to pile up.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A good deal of my stuff is in a 4 drawer dresser. Two of the drawers are just bird skins and roadkill pelts , so yeah..... I use mothballs.
I also have shelving with plastic containers, a lot of which are recycled babywipe boxes....Hey, they were free !
My desk is one of those big old metal office desks with drawers on each side. The top drawers on each side have tools, thread spools, beads, glues...that sort of thing. Reels, fly boxes and other junk are in the remaining desk drawers
And no.... nothing ever gets put away
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Stackable plastic drawers. One drawer for all feathers; one for all hair; one for misc material like chenile, flash, egg yarn, foam, etc.; one for extra thread, tools, cement, beads, etc.
Vice, tool station, thread rack, light, tying recipe books all stay on the table.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

mine is the exact same as jimmies, nothing different.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

When I first started, I tied at the kitchen table and had to pack everything up when I was done. I used various sized plastic page protectors-there are multi pocket protectors for 35mm slides, buisness cards, photos, trading cards etc-so you can use which ever fits the material.
It wasn't long before I had 5 6" wide binders full of materials! When I got my tying desk, the page protectors went into a two drawer file cabinet with hanging file folders. The cabinet became the "legs" for one side of the desk.
If I plan to take materials traveling, they can go right into a binder.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I've a whole room for my stuff, all in rubber maid type bins. lots of them and Big...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

here are a few plus other storage:

Click the image to open in full size.

N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 AM

a few more:

N.J.B.B.A. #2215

Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Haven’t found the perfect solution yet.

I have a portable tying station and Renzetti Tool Caddy that I keep tools vise and bobbins, head cement stuff and extra spools of most often used thread wire etc on a desk, surrounded by a bunch of old soup cans with stuff I use a lot like pheasant tails, herl, squirrel and calf tails, and turkey biot quills in their original packaging.

But generally everything else that used to be alive (bucktail, furs and hair, hackle, gamebird feathers etc) goes in rubber maid type containers with a sealable lid. Each of them gets a small plastic deli container (like you’d get for a small side order of cole slaw) with a couple of mothballs in it and and X slit in the top to let the fumes out.

I keep stuff in a lot of heavy duty freezer type zip lock bags, so all extra 8/0 threads, 6/0, dubbings, body braid, tinsel etc are in separate bags. so I can quickly grab one bag to look for what I need. For this kind of stuff where I don’t have to worry about bugs, it goes in a cardboard box of some type and then into either a FW or SW bin.

Same with stuff like Elk and comparadun hair, flank feathers etc which goes in a tub.

Hooks, beads are in 21 compartment boxes by type- one each for dry fly hooks, wets, nymphs, streamers etc.

Stuff like Krystal Flash I keep in the original packaging in a soup can. I just cut a small slit in the top of the package and fish out strands with a bodkin. It keeps everything from getting snarled and doesn’t take up much of a foot print.

I also usually keep a 7 compartment box with long slits handy for the stuff I’m working on, so if I/m tying a bunch of a single pattern I can keep it all handy if I get interrupted or want to take a break. It also helps speed up the tying because you can size feathers, bead hooks etc and get stuff organized all at once then start tying.

Not perfect—it still turns into a bit of an egg hunt when I need to find stuff, so I’m open for better ideas.
mark