The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Confessions of a half hitcher (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/106176-confessions-half-hitcher.html)

EXPATRIATE 02-20-2011 06:00 AM

Confessions of a half hitcher

I've watched all sorts of videos and fly tying book instructions, even have two whip-finish tools, but for the life of me I haven't managed to master the art of the whip-finish. Flies look so much neater and hold together much better so can anyone help me get over this or am I just too old and thick to pick it up?

ChrisinselwynNZ 02-20-2011 06:22 AM

Re: Confessions of a half hitcher

I have sent a pm with a link if thats not helpful, I can do a youtube video for you:)

For a very long time I was a 3 times half hitch guy, untill I read about this wonerful knot "the whip finish" it took some time to get good at it but well worth the effort;)

Chris

Davo 02-20-2011 06:26 AM

That is very hard to describe how to do in a post, also in videos you don't really see all the angles. My best advice would be to go to a fly shop or find a friend who can show you how to whip finish in person. It is pretty easy once you really see it, plus in person you can have that person walk you through it real easy.

mudbug 02-20-2011 11:29 AM

fredaevans 02-20-2011 11:53 AM

Great clip there Mudbug! I've two or three of the tools and have yet to 'Master' the how-to.:shocking: Just use my fingers; time to review the above a couple of times and set my butt down in front of a vise.

fae

mudbug 02-20-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 212431)
Great clip there Mudbug! I've two or three of the tools and have yet to 'Master' the how-to.:shocking: Just use my fingers; time to review the above a couple of times and set my butt down in front of a vise.

fae

That video is the one that really showed me how easy it is. Others show how to hook it up top first, then do this strange wrapping maneuver to create the triangle. Following his steps of starting with the bottom and laying the hook into the thread it just falls together nicely.

nerka 02-20-2011 04:34 PM

I whip finish and half hitch where applicable. When I tie streamers I prefer to lock down the materials as I complete them. For instance I will throw in a couple half hitches to secure tail on a bugger or leech pattern but will whip finish at the head to finish to fly.

HuronRiverDan 02-20-2011 08:00 PM

Mudbug, great video...Maybe one of the mods could put that into a sticky...

Dan

Davo 02-20-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan (Post 212691)
Mudbug, great video...Maybe one of the mods could put that into a sticky...

Dan

Or you could just post it to the video library in the instructional category.

mudbug 02-20-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo (Post 212692)
Or you could just post it to the video library in the instructional category.

Done. :frogdance