The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Confessions of a half hitcher

I've watched all sorts of videos and fly tying book instructions, even have two whip-finish tools, but for the life of me I haven't managed to master the art of the whip-finish. Flies look so much neater and hold together much better so can anyone help me get over this or am I just too old and thick to pick it up?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Confessions of a half hitcher

I have sent a pm with a link if thats not helpful, I can do a youtube video for you

For a very long time I was a 3 times half hitch guy, untill I read about this wonerful knot "the whip finish" it took some time to get good at it but well worth the effort

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

That is very hard to describe how to do in a post, also in videos you don't really see all the angles. My best advice would be to go to a fly shop or find a friend who can show you how to whip finish in person. It is pretty easy once you really see it, plus in person you can have that person walk you through it real easy.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great clip there Mudbug! I've two or three of the tools and have yet to 'Master' the how-to. Just use my fingers; time to review the above a couple of times and set my butt down in front of a vise.

fae
Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Great clip there Mudbug! I've two or three of the tools and have yet to 'Master' the how-to. Just use my fingers; time to review the above a couple of times and set my butt down in front of a vise.

fae

That video is the one that really showed me how easy it is. Others show how to hook it up top first, then do this strange wrapping maneuver to create the triangle. Following his steps of starting with the bottom and laying the hook into the thread it just falls together nicely.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I whip finish and half hitch where applicable. When I tie streamers I prefer to lock down the materials as I complete them. For instance I will throw in a couple half hitches to secure tail on a bugger or leech pattern but will whip finish at the head to finish to fly.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Mudbug, great video...Maybe one of the mods could put that into a sticky...

Dan
Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Mudbug, great video...Maybe one of the mods could put that into a sticky...

Dan
Or you could just post it to the video library in the instructional category.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Or you could just post it to the video library in the instructional category.

Done.