The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Question braided fishing line any use for fly tying?

so i went out and bought some braided fishing line for my spinning pole and tried it but i dont work that well with a spinning reel and then my baitcaster has cheap guide inserts so i odn twant them to groove...but ive been thinking could i use all 150 yards of this braided stuff to maybe make ribbing on a fly or even make a body on a little fly with...what do you all think
Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: braided fishing line any use for fly tying?

I keep two back up spools with braide line for a couple of my spinning outfits. I use only Berkly fireline and it works great, I dont use it for everyday use though, just special situations. You have to make sure to put it on the reel the way they put it on the spool. To do this start your reel, go a couple turns then stop and look, if the line wants to come off turn the spool of line the other direction. If you start with the bottom of the spool faceing up and the line isnt going on right, turn it over so the label shows.
Now as far as flies, braided line floats, so keep that in mind, ribbing should ok, but if you are tying a wet or a nymph you'll have to weight the fly.
Leaders out of braid? NO its very limp and wont lay out right. The only time I had luck with this was bass fishing heavy cattails and lilly pads. I used a very heavy mono 40lb(4') to 30(3') lb then a short 2 foot section of 20lb braid. It worked great for pulling big bass out of thick stuff, and casted decent with only a 2foot section of the braid.
Good luck
Bear
Old 07-18-2009, 02:23 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

ok thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

We tied a parachute hopper at last months club meeting. Our instructor used a braided brown thread for the ribbing so maybe you could use it. What color is it?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

You may use the braided line as rubber legs or for Daddy Long legs.
Trygve
Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 AM

its like a moss green almost
Old 07-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Most Superlines are made from gel-spun polyethylene. The original spiderwire was made from a braided version or the material. Originally, Fireline was made from a solid extruded version of GSP. Not sure if they're doing a braid now too.

There is a GSP tying thread out there, but I'm not sure what lb strength test it translates to. GSP is tremendously strong per its diameter to the point where it can cut through hollow hairs (deer, elk, etc), foam and possibly other materials when applying lots of thread tension.

I prefer the old Gudebrod/Orvis size G I've still got when I need super strong thread, or Gudebrod size D if needed. Both are quite bulky, but that's usually not a huge concern on flies where its needed.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

I prefer the old Gudebrod/Orvis size G I've still got when I need super strong thread, or Gudebrod size D if needed. Both are quite bulky, but that's usually not a huge concern on flies where its needed.
Yeah, our instructor called the brown braided thread "size D" in the recipe. I looked all over the internet and fly shop catalogs and never found it.

Sorry Flyfisher. That moss green might work, huh?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Yeah, our instructor called the brown braided thread "size D" in the recipe. I looked all over the internet and fly shop catalogs and never found it.
You won't find it as a tying thread. That size is a standard for light-duty rod-wrapping. gudebrod d - Google Search
Jann's, Mudhole, and Angler's Workshop are all venerable suppliers.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Hm, braided line for tying...let me see here, I know I tried that one time...Ya ok i remember now. I gave it a try on the backend of musky bait called wades wobbler. They are small 6" jerk bait that has a heavy wire that runs from the nose to tail making up the points off attachment for the hooks. The back side of this lure had a 3/0 treble tied with buck tail. Though these lures did work they often were targeted by small pike and perch. (ya i said perch). Long story short, the hair often fell out. I retied them using 20lb, 6lb diameter spider wire. This did help and held very well. Thing is though, I used a lot of glue on them as i was tying. Ive not gone back to the braided line instead opting for nylon instead. Often braid has too large a diameter to work very well for flies. Not unless you can find 2lb diameter or even smaller. Fire line, Id like to see that actually. Thing with fire line is how well it becomes poofy. Poofy meaning the fraying that goes on. If you have ever used fire line you’d soon see what I am meaning. Fishing lines aside, I know I get 2/lb XL and use it on the patterns such as scuds or when needing to tie with a mono fiber. Lastly, IMHO if your going to tie such flies as large samlon, pike, or bass flies stay away from braids. You'll soon see your flies becoming greatly bulked with just a few turns.