The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Feather Question

On flies like an Adams or a BWO, what feathers are used for the wings? I'm not sure if I should be using the tips of my dry fly hackles or there is a lower cost alternative that is better suited.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Feather Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
On flies like an Adams or a BWO, what feathers are used for the wings? I'm not sure if I should be using the tips of my dry fly hackles or there is a lower cost alternative that is better suited.
I dont know what you mean by BWO but for Adams wings are from hen cape
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Blue Winged Olive
Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Blue Winged Olive
Sorry for my bad expression ,I know what BWO is but I am not familiar with that pattern
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The wings for both are made by using the tips of hackles. Generally the feathers located about midway on a dry fly cape will be the right size for use as wings. These feathers are usually too big for dries sized 14 - 20 and too small for use as streamer wings.

Fortunately there are few patterns that call for hackle tips as wings and you will find they can be a challenge to get them mounted so that they are strait. I don't recommend passing up these patterns because learning to make and mount hackle tips as wings is a skill that will come handy as you learn to tie various styles of flies in the years ahead.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
.... Generally the feathers located about midway on a dry fly cape will be the right size for use as wings. These feathers are usually too big for dries sized 14 - 20 and too small for use as streamer wings...
Ard
Thanks Ard. I'll look at those feathers to see what I find.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

I am currently tying some hackle winged patterns and prefer to use hen hackle for the wings as it is a little softer and comes in a better range of color and sizes.I would rather use hen as a good neck can cost a small fortune these days , not to mention the stiff hackle can sometimes create a tippet twisting monster.
Here is an example of a hackle wing sulfur pattern I'm doing at the moment size 16 the wings are natural brahma hen from Whiting these give you a yellowish dun look, and they move through the air nicely and don't twist the tippet.

Click the image to open in full size.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM

That looks really nice. What should I be looking for in a hen hackle?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That looks really nice. What should I be looking for in a hen hackle?
Hello whalensdad,

Every hen cape I have is Whiting , what you want to look for is a nice soft hen cape which usually will have all the sizes you need.Hens tend to have a nice even round hackle with the exception of the grizzly hackle which all tends to be stiff and more pointy . But if you are able to search through the necks you can find some softer grizzly.Here are a few pictures of the some necks that I tye from so you can get an idea. Hope this helps you out..

Allen
Natural Light dun

Grizzly

Natural Brahma

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Thanks a bunch! Now I know what to look for.