The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Having trouble hackling parachute patterns

Was wondering if anyone could offer some advise. I've been trying to tie parachutes more regularly as opposed to standard dries as i can see them better. The problem i run into is wrapping the hackle around the posts i create. I have the post creation down pat, but i cannot seem to nail the hackle down. Any ideas, tips, or tricks? Tying an Adams if that helps at all...also do you use both hackles on the parachute patterns or just one?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having trouble hackling parachute patterns

I think one hackle is enough...as for the"post" put a litle drop of suprglue at the bottom of it...when it dries it'll be stiff so it'll be easier to wrap the hackle aroundhope it can help.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Maybe this video will help you out

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi db,

If you use both hackles then six wraps like the video may be too much. I would try two up and two down.

Frank
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That was a good video. I'm going to start using the superglue on the base of the post.
Leroy Hyatt started a new hackling technique for parachutes that I adopted. One huge advantage is you can tie tiny flies almost as easy as the larger ones.
After posting up what ever you use for the post dub the body and thorax. You will never go around the shank again. Tie both hackle feathers to the post (I like to have the stems bare so the first wrap or two is just stem). Start wrapping from top to bottom. At the bottom tie off around post then whip finish around post. Head cement base of post.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Here is a step by step similar to what Jimmie stated and this is the way I've been tying them for as long as I can remember. Hope this helps..

Set up your post and head cement then continue to tye your fly as the post dries.

Click the image to open in full size.

Tail and body on now your ready to hackle. Tye in your hackle strip enough fibers off to expose the stem enough to tye upright , and make first wrap before hackle starts to splay.

Then apply dubbing .

Wrap hackle from top to bottom.

Finished Fly

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 AM

What a pretty fly! Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

DB,
Here's a link for the best tying tool ever invented for tying troublesome Para's.Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - Getting the ?Hang? of Tying Parachutes

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

I used to find tying parachutes a real bugger till a friend showed me what to do and to superglue the wing post first. I actually prefer to tie most of my dries this way now.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM

so i've ordered a gallows tool...looks like it might be the ticket...super glue helps..but i have two left hands and still end up "spinning" the post with the hackle!