The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Yes, thanks for that comment. I have made this pattern before in yellow, but I didn't add any ribbing. I will have to see if I have something smaller.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

OK... I finally got mine done... and then I took the pics, and when I saw the pics I started picking out every imperfection I saw... One day... sigh... but I had great fun putting this together...

Click the image to open in full size.

Not as good as many already posted, but I am sure they will catch!

Nick
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I went along the lines of ChrisinselwynNZ except a steelhead version tied on a walleye wide gap #6 and used a funky little teal feather. The head got chunky and the body is a tad short but last spring (super low and clear conditions) guys were having great sucess with orange micro jigs. I had some OPs but they were on trout hooks and straightened right out.

I jumped the gun here and whipped up a few leadwing variations. Smae hook for steelhead, for when the caddis are popping the leadwing swung through a riffle should get a grab. Trout can't seem to get enough of it so I imagine a few chromers won't pass it up.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

twfitw, Yup, cameras have a way of making us all take a closer look at our flies. Rule of thumb is that if you like the pic, then you'll love the fly! I have yet to meet the tyer who thinks he has tied the perfect fly. I think they look good; nice smooth bodies and great choice of hackle on the gray partridge collar.

wt, interesting use of the wide gap #6; definitely looks like a low water fly to me and you'll get good action in the water from the teal, if the water is not moving to quickly. Another role of thumb on this pattern is that the hackle needs be stiffer for fast water; softer for still waters. I've been intrigued by Ard/Fysh's comment about morphing this simple pattern into a steelhead pattern. I think it has a lot of merit, and the variations are almost endless. I like it; looks like it will catch fish.

The Leadwing Coachman is one of my favorite wet flies; I use it in multiple sizes; usually on wet fly hooks. It's a consistent taker when fished across and down with little stops of "lifts" along the way. I think it looks like a "rising almost anything"; particularly in fast water. This pattern will be coming up again a little later. Looks good.

Pocono
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hi all. I've been away and pleasantly unplugged for a few days. Great tutorial, Allan, and a bunch of nice looking flies here. I'll tie my P&0 tonight and get it posted by this weekend. I'm looking forward to participating more on the rest of these flies...l love talking about flies!

FYI, I just picked up the Spring issue of Fly Tyer, there is a decent article about the versatile hen hackle which could be used on a lot of these flies.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flityer View Post
Pardon my heavy hand on this haven't tyed these in more than 3 years . Can't believe with all the tying thread I have, I only have florescent orange.. Put a little seal magic on mine.

Allen, that's a beauty! I can't wait to see what you come up with after you "warm up" from a three year hiatus.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Thank you Dean mt for your kind words. Here is another attempt this one being tied on a TMC 3761.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

..........that one's really nice!

Looks like one wrap of hackle to me - just perfect!

What's the thorax dubbing material - is it still magic seal?

Pocono
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hi Allan ,

Thank you !! Yes just one turn of partridge and some magic seal. Getting back in the groove..

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 PM

carman9941 is on a distinguished road

FYI, I just picked up the Spring issue of Fly Tyer, there is a decent article about the versatile hen hackle which could be used on a lot of these flies.

I was just reading the same article before I signed on
Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Well, my fly is completed and photographed; I'm not sure why but under my 'posting rules' it says I 'm not allowed to post attachments?.. : ( so, I guess no photos from me...