The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flityer View Post
Hi Allan ,

Thank you !! Yes just one turn of partridge and some magic seal. Getting back in the groove..
what exactly is magic seal?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hi Dean_mt,

Nothing but seal dubbing just adds magic to a fly so I call it that lol . Just has that glow to it when it hits the water another one of natures crystal flash. I was fortunate to have an old time salmon fly tyer for a good friend and mentor who gave me a small stash of this wonderful dubbing.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

got mine tied, gonna tie an olive and partridge tomorrow and get pics of both.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we're doing pretty well with the P&0 pattern: 10 members have already tyed and posted their flies and I know that we have flies coming from Flytyer07, boser, Mudbug, Greenwood, dean_MT and littledavid123. If the rest of you are going to tie up this pattern or tie and post, then time's starting to get short.

I'll be posting the step-by-step for the next pattern; the Woolly Bugger, on Sunday morning.

Pocono
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking flies everyone-- I love all the variations!

Here's one from me-- Pearsall's orange silk body, some mole fur dubbing for a thorax and 2 turns of natural brownish-gray partridge:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

This is my version of the partridge and orange. It's pretty standard. Hook: 3906b #16; thread: orange; floss: orange; fine gold wire rib; thorax: natural ostrich hurl; partridge hackle trimmed on one side. The only difference at all is in the use of ostrich hurl for the thorax which I've gone to for most of my soft hackles. It's easy to work with, has lots of little moving fibers if that matters and provides that little distinctive bump that keeps the partridge away from the hook.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Click the image to open in full size.

Here it is: Daiichi 1150 #12, Orange floss body, antron/hare's ear, and a half turn too much of the dark partridge.

I forgot how tricky it is to keep floss nice and tight. Note on the tying: I tie soft hackles in the opposite of normal with the tie in tip pointing to the rear. This is a method that Dave Hughes teaches. You leave the tying thread behind the the tie in point and wrap the hackle back toward it, then tie off and make a wrap through the hackle which binds down the stem, then you have to sweep the fibers back a little and tie off the head. It makes for a more durable hackle.

Bring on the Bugger!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:36 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

nice flies everyone :-)
Old 03-12-2011, 07:13 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
This is my version of the partridge and orange. It's pretty standard. Hook: 3906b #16; thread: orange; floss: orange; fine gold wire rib; thorax: natural ostrich hurl; partridge hackle trimmed on one side. The only difference at all is in the use of ostrich hurl for the thorax which I've gone to for most of my soft hackles. It's easy to work with, has lots of little moving fibers if that matters and provides that little distinctive bump that keeps the partridge away from the hook.Click the image to open in full size.
Very nice, I thought about trying peacock herl for the same reason.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great flies - thanks for posting Mark (Peregrines), Dave (Greenwood) and John (dean-MT)!

Mark, I like the light dubbing on the thorax and the use of the brown hackle on your pattern. Somehow, the body without the ribbing just looks smoother. When Pritt first published the pattern it was just tying thread and hackle; no thorax, no ribbing.

Bob, I've never thought about using herl as the thorax material; but it makes a lot of sense and, as you say, it has a lot of action in the water. Sort of like tying in a butt behind the hackle. Nice idea! Stripping the barbs off the hackle on the tyed-in and wound side sure gets rid of renegade hackle barbs and really lets you tighten up your hackle. Have you ever stripped the wrong side?? I have!

John, I'd say you got your floss body down pretty well! I've never tyed in as Hughes teaches, but I think I'll give it a try. I'm always tying the tip forward, hackling forward and tying off the stem forward of the hackle. If I tyed the tip back, hackled back and wove the thread forward through the hackle, I'd expect to be tying off the stem behind the hackle and the weaving of the thread forward would give me a little more security on the hackle staying in place, I guess. I could also see it giving a nice, small head to the fly since there's no stem to tie off in front of the hackle. I'll give it a try next time. Thanks.

We will bring on the bugger!

Don't forget to set your clocks ahead tonight if you're in the US.

Pocono