The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

OK, here's mine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook - Allen 5212 #14
Body - Danville 70d in Pumpkin (I think)
Rib - xs copper wire (I didn't have any gold)
thorax - Amber superfine
hackle - Hungarian Partridge, Natural

I did one in olive also and the zoom on this one really show that I need to work on cleaning up the head.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice fly Bug, don't sweat the head you probably couldn't see that until you used a macro and then enlarged it. Fish won't spot that at all,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Woolly Bugger - Step-by-Step

Here’s a pattern that’s well known and is generally regarded as a streamer. This fly was developed by Russell Blessing in 1967 and was originally meant to imitate a hellgrammite. Hellgrammites are plentiful in Blessing’s home water; the Little Lehigh River, in Eastern PA. According to the lore, the fly was named by Blessing’s daughter, who looked at the fly and said something to the effect of: “that looks like a woolly bugger!” And that was that – the name stuck.

This is arguably the most popular fly ever designed and can be fished almost anywhere in the water column and for almost all freshwater species; as well as some salt water species. In order to get it down quickly once cast, lead or a lead substitute is often added to the body.

This fly is also seen in more iterations than any other; everything from plain ties, like the one below, to beadheads, coneheads, egg-sucking leaches, with and without legs and in just about any color and/or color combination that you can imagine. The fly below is pretty close to the pattern originally described by Blessing.

Here’s the step-by-step (click on the pics to enlarge them if you need to):

1. Here are the materials that you’ll need to tie up this pattern; a few more than for the P&O, but not many more. I used a 3xl streamer hook (Daiichi, 1720, #6), but any equivalent hook will do just fine. The other materials include: 1. 6/0 thread, black, 2. olive chenille, medium, 3. lead or lead substitute, .020, 4. Krystal flash, any color you want to use, 5. marabou, black, and 6. hackle, black.

2. Thread the front 10% of the hook.

3. Wrap approx. 20 turns of .020 lead around the hook; equidistant from both ends.

4. Secure the lead with tying thread and build up a taper at both the back and front ends of the lead. [Note: You can actually leave the back end of the lead un-tapered, it may make it easier to get a smooth body after tying in the marabou.]

5. Now, take two black marabou plumes and place them back to back (the concave sides of each feather facing each other) and tie them in at the back of the threaded hook with 6-8 firm wraps. Cut the marabou waste ends so that they’re about equal to the distance to the back end of the lead.

6. Next, bind down the ends of the marabou plumes so that they taper into the body. [Note: some tyers will run the marabou waste ends all the way up to the eye of the hook, in order to give the body more bulk, but when I’m using a lead barrel on the body, I don’t do this; I think that the lead gives me enough bulk when over-wrapped with a medium chenille.]

7. Next, tie in 3-4 strands of Krystal Flash of other sparkle material. There are many ways to do this. I tie them in on the bottom of the hook, by folding the Flash in half and wrapping it around the thread. Bind the Flash down with 3 wraps.

8. Then, take the ends of the Flash and hold them out to the left of the hook (if you’re a right handed tyer). Bind them into the position that you want along the tail by winding the thread down to the point where the marabou plumes were tied in. Cut the Flash off about ½” longer than the marabou tail.

9. Now, take your chenille and strip off about ½” of the fuzz from one end. Tie the chenille in using the stripped end; get it right up against the marabou tail. Use 4-6 wraps. I like to tie it in on the bottom of the hook, but you can tie it in anywhere that you like.

10. Take one wind of chenille and see where it lies on the hook. Now, unwind it. Then take a black hackle, prepare the tip the same way that you did for the P&O (see the P&O step-by-step) and tip tie it in right where that single wrap of chenille ended, with the dull side facing you. I also tie in the hackle on the bottom of the hook, but like the chenille, you can tie it in wherever you want. For me, it helps if the chenille and the hackle are tied in at roughly the same position on the hook. [Note: some tyers will tie in the hackle first, then the chenille. This is fine, as long as you take your first wrap of chenille behind the hackle.]

11. Now wind the chenille at an angle up the hook toward the eye. Stop with about 1/8” of hook showing before you get to the eye and tie it off with 3-4 wraps.

12. Finally, cut off the chenille waste end and wind the hackle at an angle toward the eye; keeping the hackle on its edge as you wind it, shiny side of the feather facing forward and, in general, winding it between the chenille wraps. When you get to the point where the chenille ends, you can either tie off the hackle at that point or you can take 2-3 wraps of hackle butted right up against each other to form a hackle collar. Whichever way you go on that, tie off the hackle with 3-4 tight wraps.

13. Cut off the waste end of the hackle close to the hook. Clean up any stray hackle barbs and form a small head with tying tread. When completed, use 2-3 half hitches or a whip finish and coat the head lightly with head cement.

And that’s it - the Woolly Bugger!

We’re going to see a wide variety of Woolly Bugger patterns from the tie-along members; I can already sense this, based on the P&O variations. So, go ahead and feel free to tie and post your favorite Bugger or experiment around a little.

This is the “first fly” for a lot of fly tyers – I still have mine and I did catch fish on it. It certainly wasn’t pretty, but the fish didn’t seem to mind!

Post of PM me with any questions that you have about this pattern.

Pocono
Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

That is a good looking Woolly Bugger, Allan. I will try to get one of those done today. That is one of my favorite patterns, very productive.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Great SBS Pocono

here is some of mine

Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

-I'm sorry, what a little late ..

Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Mudbug, those are nice looking Partridge & Orange/Olive! Body looks good to me, as does the hackle. What Ard says about the neatness of heads is right; the fish will never notice. But, if you want to avoid the "fringe" at the tip, then you could trim your fly up earlier; before you build the head. Trimming-up after the head is formed is difficult, because by that time the materials are bound tight against the eye. This from experience

Madjoni, nice looking beadhead Buggers. I like the color combinations that you used. Light bodied Buggers work well for me; particularly in off-color water or early/late in the day.

Cicvara, really nice P&O. That body work looks great; dubbing is in proportion to the body and the hackle is nice and sparse.

Kelly, good looking Bugger! Hackle came out really well. Do I see some flash in the body; looks like it.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 03-14-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM

I used 3 strands of black Krystal Flash for the tail. The body is an olive woolly bugger chenille...and yes, it does have a little sparkle to it. Glad you like it. That color combo works well for me. I will probably do other colors, as I need some for spring. I used a size 6 hook from Montana Fly Company. They aren't bad hooks, but could be a little sharper. I hate sharpening hooks.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
OK, here's mine.

Hook - Allen 5212 #14
Body - Danville 70d in Pumpkin (I think)
Rib - xs copper wire (I didn't have any gold)
thorax - Amber superfine
hackle - Hungarian Partridge, Natural

I did one in olive also and the zoom on this one really show that I need to work on cleaning up the head.

Mudbug, there is nothing wrong with them the body shape is more important and you nailed that! the head will come with practice.

Here is my bugger.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD