The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Chris, Looks good!

What did you use for the collar hackle; looks like it might be a different feather than the one that you used to palmer the body(?)

I tie almost all of my buggers with a beadhead.

Pocono
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
John, I'd say you got your floss body down pretty well! I've never tyed in as Hughes teaches, but I think I'll give it a try. I'm always tying the tip forward, hackling forward and tying off the stem forward of the hackle. If I tyed the tip back, hackled back and wove the thread forward through the hackle, I'd expect to be tying off the stem behind the hackle and the weaving of the thread forward would give me a little more security on the hackle staying in place, I guess. I could also see it giving a nice, small head to the fly since there's no stem to tie off in front of the hackle. I'll give it a try next time. Thanks.
All of your points are exactly right. Plus after you tie in the tip when you then dub the thorax over it it is already built up a little. The sequnce works really well, no extra wraps anywhere and a nice fine head.

The bugger looks great, I can't wait to crank out a small army of them.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
All of your points are exactly right. Plus after you tie in the tip when you then dub the thorax over it it is already built up a little. The sequnce works really well, no extra wraps anywhere and a nice fine head.

The bugger looks great, I can't wait to crank out a small army of them.
John,

Only one point that I can think of as a drawback and that's if you tip tie-in and wind the hackle backwards; towards the bend, then the longer hackle barbs are going to be placed towards the tail; not towards the eye, which is generally preferred. For dry flies, I see no issue, since the hackle is pretty uniform. For Wet flies, where the hackle varies, it could be a point to consider.

You could counter that by tying-in at the base of the hackle, but that would give you a pretty good sized lump as you wound your hackle back towards the bend.

I'm still going to give it a try.

Glad you liked the bugger; it's pretty close to Blessing's original pattern.

Pocono
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Sorry for being late with my tie but I was out of town last week for the Midwest Fly Fishing show, anyway here is my Partridge & Orangeand I added one with a little twist.

Click the image to open in full size.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Chris, Looks good!

What did you use for the collar hackle; looks like it might be a different feather than the one that you used to palmer the body(?)

I tie almost all of my buggers with a beadhead.

Pocono
Thanks Allan, I used furnace dry fly schapplin, for the body and throat just gave it an extra wrap so it appears diffrent because it is longer but dyed pheasant rump would give the same effect.

I cheated I have no more olive chinelle so I dubbed chartruse marabou instead

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 AM

Popperfly, that's a good looking P&O! Looks like it's tyed on a 2xh hook, which would get it down in the water column guickly once it hits the water.

The GB variant with the dyed hackle looks interesting; creative idea! A lot of patterns work well with a different colored butt. For example, Salmon/Steelhead patterns like the Skunk and the Black Bear are generally tied nowadays with either a GB or a RB. Let us know how the fish like it!

That's 19 P&O's so far - really great participation in this tie-along! Thanks.

Chris, I can see the extra wrap of hackle at the bead now. The dubbed marabou looks good; I think it will work well in the water given marabou's natural action. There's no end of possibliites with the Woolly Bugger pattern.

Pocono
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
There's no end of possibliites with the Woolly Bugger pattern.

Pocono
Well said Pocono,well said

Killer pattern any how we do it

Here is one,my old Woolly with ice-dub body that is pretty good at my rivers
Black hackle was not ribbed as usual at this pattern,I used 3 hackles on 3 spots

Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I really like the ice dub for the body.

Nice flies everyone, I am enjoying seeing the subtle differences.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Popperfly, that's a good looking P&O! Looks like it's tyed on a 2xh hook, which would get it down in the water column guickly once it hits the water.

The GB variant with the dyed hackle looks interesting; creative idea! A lot of patterns work well with a different colored butt. For example, Salmon/Steelhead patterns like the Skunk and the Black Bear are generally tied nowadays with either a GB or a RB. Let us know how the fish like it!

Pocono
Thanks Pocono,

I used the 2x hook because during this time of the year they are releasing a higher flow rate from the dam due to the spring rains and just like you said to "get it down in the water column quickly" I feel this P&O along with the GB variant will fish well for the trout but I will keep you posted.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold