The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Madjoni, nice bugger! Do you tie in the back chenille, the back hackle, then the mid chenille, then the mid hackle, then forward chenille and then the forward hackle, or do you use a different sequence? Reminds me a little of some grub-style Salmon flies that I tied up back last Fall; the segmented body, I mean (re-posted pics):

Click the image to open in full size.

I really like it tied the way that you tyed it! It should give a nice free hackle movement in the water; I would think really good for fast-moving streams; early season.

Cicvara, that' a good looking bugger! Black/black has always been a killer bugger combination for me. I like the red flash with what looks like a small red thorax; I've never seen a thorax on a bugger before, but it looks like an interesting idea to me.

Any more buggers out there?? We're mid-week and I'll post the step-by-step for the Adams Flymph this coming Sunday.

Pocono
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Madjoni, nice bugger! Do you tie in the back chenille, the back hackle, then the mid chenille, then the mid hackle, then forward chenille and then the forward hackle,

Pocono
Exactly as you said and thanks

Really like your salmon grub style flies
Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Sorry for being late with my tie but I was out of town last week for the Midwest Fly Fishing show, anyway here is my Partridge & Orangeand I added one with a little twist.

Popperfly, your P&Os "popped" off your post; at least they did on my computer! Can you still see them?

I've had this problem in the past. You can delete out the blanks and re-paste your pics to your original post and I think that they'll stay put the second time.

Pocono
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Popperfly, your P&Os "popped" off your post; at least they did on my computer! Can you still see them?

I've had this problem in the past. You can delete out the blanks and re-paste your pics to your original post and I think that they'll stay put the second time.

Pocono
Thanks Pocono,

Dont know what happen, but I have them back on the post.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Well here is my bugger
the body it chennille dyed in tea, a good friend of mine E J Malone (Ted Malone) swears by this as he does all his chenille body daddies dipped in tea.
Ted is 94 years old and still fishing the big Irish Loughs, so i think he knows what he is talking about

Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Madjoni, nice bugger! Do you tie in the back chenille, the back hackle, then the mid chenille, then the mid hackle, then forward chenille and then the forward hackle, or do you use a different sequence? Reminds me a little of some grub-style Salmon flies that I tied up back last Fall; the segmented body, I mean (re-posted pics):
That is a nice look, Madjoni, but is it just a stylistic pref or does it fish diffently? Allan, with a dubbed body using individual hackles would be less work than your flies (lovely!) with body material between each hackle segment.

Quote:
Cicvara, that' a good looking bugger! Black/black has always been a killer bugger combination for me. I like the red flash with what looks like a small red thorax; I've never seen a thorax on a bugger before, but it looks like an interesting idea to me.

Any more buggers out there?? We're mid-week and I'll post the step-by-step for the Adams Flymph this coming Sunday.
Agreed again, I love the red underbody on that all black bugger. Nice touch.

And Laurie - I like your two tone bugger a lot, too.

My evenings have been full this week but I am planning to get an hour or two on the vise tonight.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That is a nice look, Madjoni, but is it just a stylistic pref or does it fish diffently?
Hi Dean...thanks
How old saying says "necessity is the mother of invention"...well,that is case...You guys dont realize how lucky you are being able to by fly tying stuff or to have someone to show you fly fishing and fly tying.I learn all by my self...and some for patterns that I read about simply my shotgun was not enough to get all materials.So,when I tied first bugger I didnt have strong wire...(first marrabou was fluffy feathers from pheasant....ice dub come on much later,maybe 8 years ago and that is one of best materials that I got my hands on thanks to Cabelas
And it hunts same as regular wolly
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here's my first WB. It's identical to the materials that you used .

This second one is the way that I've been tying them for almost the past year. I use dubbing with "Northern Lights" Lite Bright mixed and picked-out. You can put the same Light Bright in many different colors of dubbing and get a gradient effect.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Laurie, good looking bugger. Sounds like Ted certainly know what he's doing. I've used tea dye on white silk for hairwing salmon flies, but never on chenille. Gives a nice, natural color to the body. I'm going to give that a try if I can find some white chenille.

John, yes, dubbed bodies make a lot of things easier. With silk or flat tinsel (or any narrow body material) the problem is always getting away from the bulk that's created by tying in materials (hackle stems, tinsels, etc.). Dubbing takes that concern away, for the most part, because of its consistency, thickness and overall "loose" look.

Jimmie, those both look good! Nice body shape/hackle on the first one. The beadhead with the two-tone dubbed body and the Northern Lights Lite Brite looks like quite an attractor. Works well with the flash in the tail; essentially the whole body/tail gives a sparkle effect.

Pocono
Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 AM

Well, we've had 6 nice buggers posted so far. But we had 15 P&Os and we've got 25 members in this tie-along. So, its time to start moving on your buggers if you're going to tie them up.

Feel free to substitute materials because there are no limits in this area when it comes to Woolly Buggers! Gary Soucie has a book that's dedicated to just Woolly Buggers and Woolly Worms; plenty of food for thought there!

Woolly Wisdom by Gary Soucie

BN and Amazon have them in stock, if you're interested.............

Pocono