The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
Well here is my bugger
the body it chennille dyed in tea, a good friend of mine E J Malone (Ted Malone) swears by this as he does all his chenille body daddies dipped in tea.
Ted is 94 years old and still fishing the big Irish Loughs, so i think he knows what he is talking about

Click the image to open in full size.
Some nice patterns for me to tie & try.

Laurie,I've died Chenille with Coffee,Food Colourings,many other substances & plant extracts,never tea,however tea was/still often used to colour Fly Lines.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM

carman9941 is on a distinguished road

Here's mine

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

OK Here is mine, I tied four different kind that I would use here.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I like all the variations, guys. Such a simple, versatile pattern. These two are the same pattern as Allen gave us, just a couple color and material variations.

The basic black but I use peacock ice in a dubbing loop for the body (the nice color of the ice dub got washed out in the photo):

And yellow with black UV Polar Chenille (again the nice purple flash is washed out, sorry). This is a simplified version of a pattern I cannot remember the name of that has a spun deer hair head on this same configuration - that makes for a really nice little streamer.

This one shows the flash of the ice dub and polar a little better:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...60-buggers.jpg

There are a couple other pics in the "Pictures & Albums" section under the "Community" tab.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Carman, looks like a fish-catcher to me! With a long tail, the only thing that I ever worry about is short strikes; where the fish attacks the part of the fly that doesn't have any hook in it. But most people say that the fish keys on the head of the fly (eye region), so I'm not sure that short strikes are anything to be really concerned about. But, I'd like to hear from the rest of you on that topic.

Popperfly, nice little collection there! I particularly like what looks like a grizzly hackle on the black bugger to the right. The light colored beadhead also look intriguing. I think you're ready to hit the stream!

John, the peacock ice dub looks really good to me on the first bugger! Very buggy appearance to the body. The second one with the polar chenille looks like it should have really good body motion in the water. I know what you mean about the deer hair headed streamer venison, but I'm blanking on it, too.

Keep those buggers coming; only two more days to the next step-by-step!

Pocono
Old 03-18-2011, 03:43 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Here's a few buggers for you all!

FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM

should I of moved the marabou more towards the eye?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman9941 View Post
should I of moved the marabou more towards the eye?
Carman, you want to tie in you marabou just like you in any tail no matter if the material is feather or fiber or whatever. Hold your marabou feathers together with the tips lined up and stroke them together so they are a little less crazy, then measure the length that you want the tail to be - approximately the length of the shank for this fly - and pinch the clump at the that point. Hold the pinch of marabou at the tie in point on the hook shank and bind it down. It may seem like a waste of a lot of feather, but the tips of the marabou are denser and will have better action in the water. Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Hi all.
Thanks some really good patterns for me to try,I tie a couple nearly identical to the ones popperfly has added.
In the future I'll have to join in one of the tie ins.
Brian.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 PM

OK thanks dean_mt Ill make the adjustments on some others Ill be tying