The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

well here is mine i used squirrel dyed in picricfor bit of lift
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Posted the SBS yesterday and there are already 4 pics of new PP ties! I'd say that we've got some members out there who like hairwing streamers.

Popperfly, Those are good looking Flymphs. Good proportions on the hackle and the winged version came out very well. I think you'll enjoy fishing them.

Ant, I like the use of the orange/red hair; what is that material? Also, the way that you ran the herl all the way to the hook eye looks good and is one of the other ways to tie up this pattern.

twfitw, That's a nice looking PP. Good proportions and very buggy looking. I understand what you say about working on larger hooks; I feel the same way!

Kelly, Looks good! Your throat herl really stands out nicely and the wing and hackle work very well together.

Laurie, Nice PP! I'm quickly becoming a fan of your picric acid dying process and the materials that you dye. You get a really nice, natural color in your materials.

Pocono
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! That is a red and black dyed squirrel tail.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
those are both very nice.
Thanks mudbug

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Allan your tutorials are excellent, and the response to this thread has been great- thankls for doing this!

We have a lot of very talented tyers out there.

I love tying and fishing flymphs-- here's one I use for the early spring Hendrickson mayfly hatch here in the East:

I tie and hackle them a little differently- here are the materials in order of tie in, and description of the tying steps I use:
Hook: Mustad size 10 3399 here
Thread: 8/0 Claret
Hackle: Medium dun hen saddle feather here, tied in by base, dull side up, feather left extending out over eye
Tail: Medium dun hen saddle barbs
Rib: Fine gold wire
Abdomen: Dark brown rabbit dubbing (the color of the Hendrickson nymphs), then ribbed with the wire
Thorax: Dark brown rabbit dubbed to eye and back to 1/3 point to make a double layer of dubbing. Leave thread hanging at 1/3 point and wind hackle 3 turns back towards tying thread. Weave tying thread through hackle to eye to lock it down, form thread head and tie off.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Mark, That's a nice looking Flymph! I really like the three palmered wraps of dun saddle hackle on the fly. Reminds me, just a little, of Stewarts Spider. The body looks good to me for the Hendrickson hatch; one of my favorites, and one that will be here in another 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for posting the complete recipe.

Pocono
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is a really great tutorial, Allan, and just a perfect fly too. I also appreciate the background on the pattern. As a Missoula fisherman, I reckon I need to have a couple Picket Pins in my box at all times, just for posterity. I had never heard of this fly before, weird.

Mark, beautiful flymph! That is how I tie it as well, learned it from one of Dave Hughes' books. I have to say that I rarely get the hackle so nicely proportioned or cleanly tied down (as you probably noticed in the last swap...didn't I add one of those?)
Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM

John, Thanks. I thought that you'd appreciate the Jack Boehme / Missoula connection! Good luck fishing them.

Here's a little more for you on your local fly tyer/caster/fisherman:

Jack Boehme

Pocono
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 AM

Well, we're on the downward slope on the way to the next pattern, the Leadwing Coachman; only 3 more days to the next step-by-step......

Any more Picket Pins out there..............??

Pocono