The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Any more Picket Pins out there..............??

Pocono
Just this two

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Madjoni, I love you style! Those are just beautiful. Looks like you have a tinsel tag on the "red head" and I really like the hackle tip tail.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote:
John, Thanks. I thought that you'd appreciate the Jack Boehme / Missoula connection! Good luck fishing them.

Here's a little more for you on your local fly tyer/caster/fisherman:

Jack Boehme

Pocono
Thanks for the link, Allan, this is great! I am really interested in the old fly tiers.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Madjoni, I love you style! Those are just beautiful. Looks like you have a tinsel tag on the "red head" and I really like the hackle tip tail.
Thanks Dean
I did my homework before mr Alan put his SBS about this pattern.And my investigation(I am poor variant of Sherlock Holmes ) lead on to that fly on the left,and there was said that Picket pin is wet fly,with gold but and hackle tips for tails....so,when I saw it I chose to make it like streamer because wet fly like this would be no good for my waters.
Of-course Alan put me on right track and now i have one new streamer pattern to try on my waters

Last edited by madjoni; 03-31-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Madjoni, Those are both really nice ties! The one on the right is classic. There are lots of ways to tie this pattern; I tie it according to a local tyer, Jerry Bortz.

The one on the left is interesting. I like flies with red heads; there's something about them that always makes me feel that fish will key in on them. The same is true for me with Dave Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel Nymph; with the bright orange head. The tinsel tag looks good and almost makes me wonder how this streamer would look with a small gold beadhead on it; balancing out the tag...................??? Could look good with the wing cover herl tapering into the bead....... maybe someone should give it a try.......

Pocono
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Madjoni, Those are both really nice ties! The one on the right is classic. There are lots of ways to tie this pattern; I tie it according to a local tyer, Jerry Bortz.

The one on the left is interesting. I like flies with red heads; there's something about them that always makes me feel that fish will key in on them. The same is true for me with Dave Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel Nymph; with the bright orange head. The tinsel tag looks good and almost makes me wonder how this streamer would look with a small gold beadhead on it; balancing out the tag...................??? Could look good with the wing cover herl tapering into the bead....... maybe someone should give it a try.......

Pocono
I like that idea with beadhead.For example Wolly Bugger is better on my rivers with beadhead than with out it
So,i am of to do one,shiny
Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

amazing ties!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, we're on the downward slope on the way to the next pattern, the Leadwing Coachman; only 3 more days to the next step-by-step......

Any more Picket Pins out there..............??

Pocono
Here's another.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
So,i am of to do one,shiny
................I was kind of hoping......!

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Here's another.

That looks nice, Jimmie! One of the things that I like about this pattern is how the hackle works with the squirrel wing. The herl collar and head look good.

Pocono
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I was real active fly fishing back in the early 50's. The Picket Pin was a popular fly and it was considered a Wet Fly. I remembered it a little different than some of the ones that are tied here. I found a picture of one in the 1953 Family Circle Trout Flies. I have a poor picture but you can see how it looks. I had remembered the distinct body separation of the hackles as they were palmered along the fly. Giving the impression of body segments. Also I don't remember hackle on the top of the body. If I remember correctly it was trimmed off the top or pulled down the sides, but I am not sure.

Here is the recipe.

Head, Peacock Herl
Tail, Brown Hackle Barbules
Ribbing, Spiraled Brown Hackle (Palmer)
Body, Peacock Herl
Wing, Grey Squirrel

Frank

1953 Picket Pin Wet Fly from Family Circle Trout Flies
Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Frank,

Thanks for posting the PP as a wet fly.

I think, from the picture, that the hackle may have been first folded and then pulled down; salmon fly style. That would give you the clear segmentation that you see in the pic.

It also looks like it was tied on a long wet fly hook; perhaps 3x/4x, vs. the normal wet fly hook, like a Mustad 3399.

Pulling the head right up to the eye is also something that I've seen on other PP ties.

Hmmmm.........I can feel myself gravitating toward my vise.....

Pocono