The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Well, two tries last night on a Daiichi 2220 #14 4xl (gives you the same overall ength as a standard Mustad 3399 #8 wet fly hook)..... and two failures. Getting wet fly hackle palmered 7x with barbs that don't extend much beyond one hook gap, long enough to cover the entire body and capable of being pulled down with defined segmentation, is something that I haven't figured out yet. But, I'll bet someone else can..........

I noticed that the pic of the PP wet fly is a photo of a drawing; not a photo of an actual fly (you can tell by the "shadow" around the different parts of the hook). I think I can draw that fly................but, so far, I haven't figured out how to tie it. Any ideas out there?

Pocono

..........any more PP streamers coming?............................
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
..........any more PP streamers coming?............................

Yup, I'm gonna get on them today. One standard and one a bit different.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:28 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Me too...I didnt have time today,some hard work on country
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Leadwing Coachman - Step-by-Step

Here’s a pattern that dates back well over 100 years. According to several sources, it was originally tied by a man who served as a coachman to a nobleman in England. He apparently presented it to his lord, who aptly name it the "Coachman", after its designer.

The pattern is often times thought to represent a diving caddis or mayfly adult and is sometimes used as a searching pattern when there isn’t much happening on top.

It belongs to the group of feather winged wet flies. Ray Bergman, in his famous book: Trout, showed picture plates and gave the recipes for over 500 winged wet flies; most of which are no longer seen today. Notable exceptions to this attrition are the Royal Coachman, arguably the most widely recognized fly in the world, and this week’s pattern; the Leadwing Coachman.

Here’s the step-by-step for this pattern:

1. These are the materials that you’ll need to tie up this pattern. Besides the tying thread, you’ll need: 1. Flat gold tinsel, x-sm., 2. Peacock herl, 3. A ginger or brown hackle, and 4. Paired mallard wing feathers.

Click the image to open in full size.

2. Thread the hook starting at a point one hook eye length back from the eye; a place that I’ll call the "shoulder" of the fly; a useful reference point where a lot of materials will be tied in and tied off. When you get to a point mid-way between the hook point and the barb, tie in the flat gold tinsel [Note: if you’re using mylar gold/silver tinsel, then when you tie it in remember: gold up / wraps gold.]

3. Now, wind the flat gold tinsel forward to a point above the point. Use butt wraps with the tinsel to avoid bulk in the tag. Tie it off at the same point where you tied it in. This foil back is called a “tag”.

4. Cut off the tag waste ends and wind the tying thread back to the shoulder. [Note: I like to give the body of a winged wet some shape before I tie in the body materials. In the case of this pattern, I give it what I’d call a moderate cigar shape. This is done with flattened tying thread.]

5. Once you’ve shaped the body, it’s time to tie in the Peacock herl. [Note 1: Peacock herl is interesting in that the barbules (the fuzz on the barbs) curves back on itself at the tip. Because of this, you want to tie in the herl with the shiny, concave side facing you.] [ Note 2: Some people tie the body of this pattern by tying in several herl barbs at the back and winding them forward to the shoulder. I tie it with individual barbs; one at a time, because I like the effect better that way. The choice is yours.]

Tie in the first herl by the base end, with the shiny, concave side facing you.

6. Put the tip in your hackle pliers and wind the herl forward using butt wraps, until the width of the herl starts to decrease. Then tie it off.

7. Now, tie in the next herl the same way that you did the first and wind it forward from the tie-in point.

8. Continue this process until you have reached the shoulder. Tie off the last herl at this point and smooth up the head of the fly to get ready for the hackle.

9. Take a wet fly hackle; ginger, brown, furnace or coachman (I used medium ginger), fold it, prepare the tip as we did for the previous patterns, and tie it in at the shoulder; right up against the body.

10. Cut off the hackle tip and wrap the hackle 3-4 times around the hook, taking care to pull the hackle fibers back with each wind of hackle and wrapping each turn of hackle right up against the previous one. Tie it off in the space between the shoulder and the eye.

11. Now, use your left thumb and forefinger to pull the hackle barbs back and wind your thread back against the hackle; all the way back to the shoulder. This will give your hackle barbs a distinct rearward inclination; which is classic for winged wet flies. [Note: at this point, you have a herl-bodied Flymph, which is very fishable all by itself.]

12. Now, it’s time to mount the mallard wing. This is a picture of the back side of paired mallard primary flight feathers (it's the slate-colored back side of the feathers that will become the outside of the wing). It’s important to pair your feathers as closely as you can; based primarily on the length of the barbs that are present on the feathers. You need one left feather and one right feather, as shown below.

13. One thing that you’ll note about mallard wing primaries is that they have very “tight” barbs. They also have a thickened, somewhat solid webby inner portion that runs right to the stem of the feather. You don’t want to be tying in your wing by this webby inner portion, so size your wing to your hook, based on the usable portion of the barbs; that portion outside the web. Since the longest usable barbs are at the base of the feather, you’ll want to start with barbs that are in that area (see the bodkin pointing toward the longest barbs).

14. Next, you’ll want to select a group of barbs that are the right width for your hook. The rule of thumb for winged wets is that you want a group of barbs that are approx. one hook gap in width. To help standardize this, I simply insert a hook into the feather and let the point of the hook tell me when I’ve reached one hook gap in width.

15. Next, cut out the wing slips from each feather. At this point, I leave them attached to the stems for ease of handling.

In order to prep the wing slips for tying in, you’ll want to cut off the stems. Then put them one on top of the other, so that the concave sides (the brown-colored front side of the wing) are facing each other. [Note: The tension created by this pairing will help to keep the wings together when the fly is in the water.]

Now, place the paired slips on top of the hook and tie them in right at the point where you pushed the hackle back; just in front of the shoulder. Use a soft wrap around both slips and tighten the thread down by looping it back under the hook and slowly pulling up. As you pull, you’ll see and feel the barbs compressing between your fingers. Use a second soft wrap to further tighten the slips down. Then use 4-6 tight wraps to set the slips in place. [Note: Mallard primary wing strips are not as forgiving as goose or turkey, so be sure that you’re happy with the set of the wings after the two soft wraps; before you really tighten them into place. It’s harder to re-use Mallard wing strips, but it can be done.] If you ever use anything like Zap-a-Gap thin, then this is a good time to use a small drop on the wing tie-in thread.

16. Next, trim up the waste ends of the wing slips and shape them so that they taper down into the hook eye. Use your thread to build a head and coat it with whatever head cement you like to use. Winged wets are traditionally finished off with a high gloss on the head; I use SHHAN. Here’s the finished fly:

And that’s it for the Leadwing Coachman; the last of the wet flies.

You now have wet flies in three basic themes. The first (the Partridge and Orange) as a North Country spider; essentially hackled tying thread; the second (the Adams Flymph) as a wingless wet and the third (the Leadwing Coachman) as a winged wet. There’s really no limit to what you can do with these 3 basic groups of wet flies. Have some fun and experiment around a little, based on what you observe fish feeding on in your area.

Post or PM me with any comments or questions that you may have.

Pocono
Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Great job again, Allan. Such a beautiful fly! Pure classic, what everyone thinks of when you think of a wet fly.

(I do have a couple PPs sitting here waiting for photo.)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 PM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry I'm late, but here there is ...

Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Pocono wrote: I noticed that the pic of the PP wet fly is a photo of a drawing; not a photo of an actual fly (you can tell by the "shadow" around the different parts of the hook). I think I can draw that fly................but, so far, I haven't figured out how to tie it. Any ideas out there?

Hi Alan,

Good eye, but in fact there are paintings and in super detail. The picture is just lousy but I wanted to get it posted before you moved on to the next fly. The painting is how I remember the Picket Pin but maybe it is the painting I am remembering.

Another good job on the Leadwing Coachman. You really nailed that wing.

Frank
Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I woke up to snow this morning and took the opportunity to get to the vise and hide in my basement.

Here are two Coachman's, I've never been very good at the matched slip wing...and still am not. But your tips are quite helpful, Allan. I know I tied them in too long, but it isn't just that, there is something about the proportion that doesn't look right.

The first attempt was definitely the wing length plus a bad pairing:

A little better, but still too long:

I am open to honest critique.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Looks really good to me. But trout flies aren't something I normally tie. I made one of these today too. I may post it later. I only tied one, so I will probably do another.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My Leadwing Coachman: