The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Here's as good as it's gonna get!

Click the image to open in full size.

The cheeks are guinea that I tried to improvise with, since the shop had neither jungle cock or the imitation. They had the paper things, but I passed on them.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I ordered jungle cock nails a week ago... still waiting.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

hi guys
i didnt had jungle cock so I used that imitation .I must say that is money for nothing .It is simple to make,you just need soft black feather ,any kind, and white and yellow nail warnish.Metz used that,so you can too

Last edited by madjoni; 04-16-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My Black Ghost. It's also got imitation JC (mylar). Yuck! I like the paint the black feather idea.

Last edited by Jimmie; 04-16-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: chngd to Black Ghost vs Grey
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ant, That will definitely work for you! By going with a 2-3x wing, you did the same thing that Laurie did with his tie. I like the Guinea Hen cheeks and the lighter tail and throat.

Jimmie, That looks good! Nice job on the ciger-shaped body. A lot of tyers will only tie this pattern with a flat cylinder body, but I like the moderate taper shape that you got with your tie. The wing looks well-paired and the mylar JC eyes work for me. In the water, the fish will only get a glance at it before they strike or pass. Originally, JC nails were supposed to imitate "eyes"on these streamer patterns; all of which, in turn, were designed to imitate baitfish.

Any other Black Ghosts out there................??

Pocono
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

I have been struggling to figure out some material substitutes... but I will get something out!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post

Any other Black Ghosts out there................??

Pocono

My order shipped Fri so I'll tie mine some time next week.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

OK, so I had no black thread left, no white feathers and no jungle cock... so this is my improvised version...

Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

twfitw, I like the substitutions. The black wing goes well on this pattern and the Guinea Fowl pairs nicely with the ribbing. I'll bet it will fish well for you.

Pocono
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hey great flies everyone. I'm sorry that I dropped off here, life got in the way of my vise time over the past couple weeks.

Is the Ghost the last one, Allan? I really appreciate the tutorials, I'll come back to these when I need a refresher on these classics. Thanks for running this show and to everyone that shared their work!