The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

If you don't have uni-stretch, try white dental floss for an underbody. Somebody told me about that recently.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

For underbodies, you really want a thread/fiber that will flatten. Without the ability to flatten the material, you loose the ability to shape the fly the way that you want, because you're always fighting the bumps that are left behind when you wind on your material. I have seen flat dental floss; ribbon floss I think it's called, but I haven't used it yet.

For $1.50 or less a spool, I still like white Uni Stretch.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 04-26-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Allan, thanks a bunch for the invitation and for putting together all these grade A tutorials! Sorry I dropped off in the end, I learned some new tricks and ties, though!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Allen, thank you for all your hard work putting together the Tie-Along, you did a fantastic job with the tutorials and putting together the material sheets prior to posting the first tie. Count me in on future Tie-Alongs, I had a good time even though I couldn't post the last fly due to the full blown kitchen renovation going on at the house. I will try to tie one this weekend and post it.

I would also like to thank everyone that participated, it was fun seeing all the different version of Allen choice of fly each week, everyone did a great job.

You did a job Allen.....thanks again

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I agree with Popperfly. Your tutorials were the best Pocono. Glad that I was along for the ride. Thank You.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:22 AM

kype is on a distinguished road

Madjoni

I can't seem to negotiate this site well but I am here now and will be able to join in on the fun!

Bobby
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Nice to see you Bobby and welcome
You will see that guys here are very cool and friendly
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bobby,

Welcome to the site. Let me know what problems you are having and we will get you fixed right up. You can send me a PM (Personal Message) or start another thread so we don't hijack this thread.

Frank
Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Pocono, I have a question about the Hooks the can be used on the Leadwing Coachman. The Tie-a-long Step by step doesn't mention what you used. Well, not that I found anyway.
I searched on line and found that the Hook TMC 9300 #10-16 seems to be popular for this pattern. Can you recommend other hooks that will work for the Coachman?

Thx,
Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
Pocono, I have a question about the Hooks the can be used on the Leadwing Coachman. The Tie-a-long Step by step doesn't mention what you used. Well, not that I found anyway.
I searched on line and found that the Hook TMC 9300 #10-16 seems to be popular for this pattern. Can you recommend other hooks that will work for the Coachman?

Thx,
Dave
Save some money and use a Mustad 3906 or a S70-3399. also a 3906b if you want to stretch the fly a bit.