The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Dave,

Darned if you're not right! I must have forgotten to designate the hook on that pattern; sorry.

Mudbug's answer is a good one. I follow Bob Petti's proportions, so for the Leadwing Coachman in the tie-along, I used a Mustad 3399, #8.

Here's a link to a bunch of winged wets that Bob tied up a few years ago; I think you'll like them:

Classic Wet Flies - Bergman and Beyond - Global FlyFisher

Pocono
Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Allen,

I'm having trouble finding any "REAL" difference between the 3399 and the 3906. I did read something about the eye shape being different, but that is all.

So why all the worship of the 3399? I can see that it is the most often used, but the only reason I can see for that is to match the Bergmen plates exactly, or some other older pictures.

If that is so then why the S70-3399 which actually looks less like the Bergman pics than the current 3906?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Mudbug,
3906 have shorter shank and for wet flies like coachman I prefer hooks with normal shank
here are some wets that I made on hooks with normal size shank how I call them and I like them more this way

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:45 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

madjoni,

I haven't measured, but both are listed as having a "Standard Length" shank.

The 3609b sometimes is listed as having 1x shank and sometimes having a 2x shank.

So it gets a bit confusing. Is the 3609 a standard and the 3399 normal so the 3609b is a 2x when compared to a 3609 and 1x when compared to a 3399?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
madjoni,

So it gets a bit confusing. Is the 3609 a standard and the 3399 normal so the 3609b is a 2x when compared to a 3609 and 1x when compared to a 3399?
sorry buddy
I never had in my hands that 3399 model and that means that I dont know anything about them....Hooks manufactures describes hooks how they think they should and that means nothing to me...I mean for example when they say it is size 12 normal shank it cold be size 13 or 11 and not 12 so I must see them first in flesh
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Well now, I don't feel so bad about the confusion I have as a novice Fly Tyer.
This web site - Classic Wet Flies - Bergman and Beyond - Global FlyFisher - has many very inspiring fly designs. All of them are on a Mustad 3399, #8hook. This surprises me a bit, mainly because I thought the pattern calls for a #10-16, from what I gathered... Is #8 a usable size or do you think that Bob made them on a #8 to show case them?

Just to clarify, Because I think I see a typo in the previous posts:\
3399 is what pocono used in the tye along.
3906 is what Mudbug is showing in his images.
3609 is a typo???
I looked up the 3609, it seem to be a Mustad hook for dry flies...

The main reason I asked the question is because I only have Bass Pro for a local Fly fishing store. (That I know of). They don't carry much in the way of Mustad hooks. Certainly not the 9300. I checked Bass Pro on line, I don't see the 3399 or 3906 there either. I may have to buy somewhere else on line, but first, I want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

Bass Pro carries mostly gold colored hooks. I think the Leadwing Coachman looks better on a black hook because of the gold foil/tensile.

Dave
Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the 3399 is probably the hook that most winged wet fly tyers have used in the past; and that's probably the reason that it still has some preference. Frankly, you can tie most flies on any hook that you want; as long as you're willing to change the proportions on the pattern to match the physical size and shape limitations of your hook.

There are some winged wets that I think look better on longer hooks; particularly those that have a lot going on with the body; such as the Royal Coachman.

The S70 3399's are fine as far as I'm concerned and I'm not certain about this, but someone told me that Mustad had either discontinued or was planning to stop making the straight 3399 hook. Too bad if it's true.

When tying flies for fishing crosses the boundary and flops over into tying flies for art, then exact proportions become important to some people, since duplication of the original pattern is usually the goal; something for which I'm not sure that I've ever firmly grasped the rationale.

From my standpoint, if it catches fish for you, then you've succeeded as a fly tyer.

Pocono
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
<SNIP>

Just to clarify, Because I think I see a typo in the previous posts:\
3399 is what pocono used in the tye along.
3906 is what Mudbug is showing in his images.
3609 is a typo???
I looked up the 3609, it seem to be a Mustad hook for dry flies...
Yes it is. Well actually more of a brain fart.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Madjoni,

Forgot to mention...........those are nice looking wets!!

Pocono
Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Oops, I'm so sorry Madjoni... I mistakeningly thought Mudbug tied those flies.
You addressed Mudbug in that post... not the other way around...
I really like your photography of the flies... and the flies too

Dave