The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Welcome aboard, WT!

Yes, the Salmon Fly Tie-Along is still going on; I just posted the body of the Jock Scott pattern this afternoon; wing to come before the end of next week. Then it will be on to a Spey pattern and then to the Jock O'Dee; probably about a month from now.

Fine to do a Gray Ghost for this Wet Fly / Streamer Tie-Along. As you probably know, the Gray Ghost is a Carrie Stevens streamer and it uses the glued feather wing technique that she first developed when she was a hat maker. The Black Ghost is an earlier pattern without glued wings; designed by Herb Welch; also based on Maine.

Pocono
Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have everything for 1, 2, aand 3. I tried buy some grey duck or goose quills today at Sportsmans Warehouse but all they had was white. I'll check BP or Orvis this week for the stuff I'm missing.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I have all but the grizzle hen hackle, and grey squrrel

Ill get the partridge and orange done tonight

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I have everything for 1, 2, and 3. I tried buy some grey duck or goose quills today at Sportsmans Warehouse but all they had was white. I'll check BP or Orvis this week for the stuff I'm missing.
Mudbug,

Here are a couple of sources that I use for feathers. The natural color of mallard wing feathers is what you want for the Leadwing coachman; the natural gray of the mallard is the color of lead. You want to purchase these feathers in pairs; left and right, because you'll be pairing them, back to back, for the wing.

Fly feathers 2

50 MALLARD QUILL WING FEATHERS,25 PAIR ,FLY TYING7"to8" - eBay (item 190502147553 end time Feb-27-11 12:21:51 PST)

Just be sure that you're buying pairs of feathers; not all from the same side.

Happy hunting!

Pocono
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Even though this is a tie along......freedom of expression is permitted.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Even though this is a tie along......freedom of expression is permitted.
Oh, absolutely AB; in fact, it's encouraged. The more variation we see in these patterns, the more we'll all learn from each other.

Pocono
Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hello Allan,

Looks like a great line up of fish catching flys would love to join in if I may.

Allen

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Welcome Allen!

It's great to have you in on this tie-along.

I'll post the P&O step-by-step this weekend.

Pocono
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Is it one week per fly? Not that it is crucially important, I am just confused on the timing. The P&O will be this weekend so we tie and share photos, etc. next week and then the Bugger is the following weekend, and down the line?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Is it one week per fly? Not that it is crucially important, I am just confused on the timing. The P&O will be this weekend so we tie and share photos, etc. next week and then the Bugger is the following weekend, and down the line?
Yes, that's exactly how it's planned.

Pocono