The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default Klinkhamers-which hooks to use to tie them

Could any forumite tell me if I have to specially buy klinkhamer hooks or can other hooks be used? I have a couple of fellows who would like me to tie some for them,but I'm not sure if my hooks are suitable or if I'll have to order some. Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Klinkhamers-which hooks to use to tie them

One does not have to use a Klinkhamer hook, but it is better to use one. The Klinkhamer hook is longer, curved, wider in the gape with an offset. This allows for a better hookset from the cripple position that the fly takes. I have tried using other curved long shank hooks. The fly looks great, but it is not as effective.

Partridge is the only make that I know of that makes a Klinkhamer hook.

MP
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have made them also on light scud hooks, but before I found Partridge hooks, I read an article way back, I use a TMC200R and slightly bend just behind the eye.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

As I recall, most tyers use a TMC2457/2487.

The 'ultimate' is the Partridge 15BNX Anglers Workshop - Partridge 15BNX Klinkhammer Extreme True Emerger Hooks but essentially it's a bent 2457/2487
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
As I recall, most tyers use a TMC2457/2487.

The 'ultimate' is the Partridge 15BNX Anglers Workshop - Partridge 15BNX Klinkhammer Extreme True Emerger Hooks but essentially it's a bent 2457/2487
I get the 2487 as it s a fine wire midge emerger hook, but the 2457 is a heavy wire shrimp hook? The 2302 & 2312 look like hey would work as well although the smallest is a 16.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the suugestions, Guys-I'll check tham out
Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Joni-

You're right, the 2457 is a 2x heavy version of the 2487 fine, but given the materials and style of a Klinkhammer, they float just fine and are much more stout. Depending on what you're fishing for and how heavy the water is, sometimes a bit more 'heft in yer hook' can be a GOOD thing! =)
Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Must be something that I learned here, but I've always done what Joni does with a bend in a TMC200R. At a club tying night we tied the Klinkhammer with bent TMC200R's.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I had always used the TMC 200R as Joni has suggested until I found out that Partridge made Partridge 15BN hooks.

Larry

Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM

And in case you want to read a bit of history about the klinkhamer, head on over to this link: Klinkhmer special

Nothing like going to the source =)