The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

View Poll Results: how many bobbins?
1? 2 9.09%
2? 6 27.27%
3? 3 13.64%
4? 6 27.27%
to many to count? 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:18 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Poll: how many bobbins do you have?

i have 3 but theres 1 that i always use and theres another that i use wonce in a while and theres another that is so bad i use it to hold my lead
Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Poll: how many bobbins do you have?

I have an automatic bobbin that I use most of the time now. But I have 2 ceramic bobbins I still use and one old cheapy that I use for lead and cooper wire. I reallly like the automatic bobbin until I break my thread and zip, I have to rethread it. Some days that happens quite often.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Two long ceramic; one short ceramic; that I use interchangably. They are usually loaded with black, tan, white, or red thread. One cheapie that is loaded with fine gold wire. I'm in search for the perfect bobin. The ones that I've got aren't it. None are very smooth.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

let me know if you find one.... i still havent found one either
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Me neither. LOL. I have 2, one that I use for thread, the other I use for anything, whether it be thread, tinsel, wire, or whatever.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

4-I had to look and count them. I use the old crappy one from my 1st kit for wire. It made me crazy cutting thread when I was first tying. SO much better with the ceramic bobbins. I may try the trick from the "Tying Tips" thread and glue a bead on each end of the metal tube to make it ceramic.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I said 4, but I might have 5 in rotation. I have a Renzetti Midge Saltwater that is fantastic for fine thread and small flies. I have 3 or 4 Griffin Saltwater Ceramics that I think are the best value 'better' bobbin out there. As you can tell, I like bobbins with longer tubes.

I have a junky old bobbin that's gotten dusty that I think I might use with trusty brassie size copper wire. Thanks for the idea y'all.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.