The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Question glo bugs?? aka egg patterns

so i picked some foam up today to tie a few eggs then i realized wonce i got home i dont got the rite color of thread...but i have a few questions about them first...my first question is what hook is best to tie them on? ive been thinking just a scud hook but idk for sure... and my second question is...what colors work best or do all the colors work? i got a package of each color and will tie one of each for my box if all the colors work
Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: glo bugs?? aka egg patterns

Those scud or egg hooks both work very well for egg patterns(glo egg, sucker spawn,krystal meth, estez egg). As for color sometimes it just depends on what the fish wants, but I had good luck with oregon cheese and chartruse. But it always good to carry a few just incase...LOL!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I use scud hooks in size 12 usually for glo eggs. my fav colors are oregon cheese, peach with a orange dot and chartruese. also make um in orange and pink and lighter colors like egg also. u can add a blood dot too a pattern also if u want.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher117,

I think you will find the egg hooks are a bit heavier than a scud hook. I use to use size 8 and 10 in Alaska. If you want to be a successful egg fisher you need to match your eggs to the eggs of the fish that are predominant at that time of the year. That means the eggs need to be different sizes and different colors. I use to have a chart about the different eggs sizes and color but I am not sure where that is now. I will see what I can come up with.

If I was fishing for big Trout and there was a Silver Salmon run going on I would match the Silver Salmon eggs in size and color. Sometimes I would go up in size but still stick with the right color. The trick to fishing eggs is to spot the fish and put it on it's nose.

Frank
Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Color is tough to say, it's usually what the fish respond to on a given day. Egg hooks or scud will work for you, I use a lot of Eagle Claw style 42 hooks, they have a slight offset to them. To start color wise tye up some Oregon Cheese, chartreuse, orange roe, peachy king, hot pink,etc...For stained water use the brighter colors in a larger size; as the water clears use more natural pastel colors and go a little smaller. For winter fishing for steelies here in the Great Lakes it's not unusual to use eggs tyed on a 14. For winter fish don't overlook a blue egg. Also tye your eggs in varying thicknesses; if you use less material the eggs will be somewhat transparent.

Dan
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

thanks all for the advice