The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Default homemade epoxy dryer

i didn't wanna spend $60 on one at the store, so i thought id make my own. did a lot of research and went with the disco ball motor method. heres my materials:

+5 RPM disco ball motor- $19.95 at southern importers, ive seen them online for about $10 though
+8" pine circle plaque- $4.99 at crafts store
+9" circle foam bulletin- $.99 at crafts store
+scrap wood-
+random screws- $2.00
+maybe some kind of metal brace
+polyurethane
+epoxy
+sandpaper
+circle saw/jig saw

materials cost (for me)~ $30.00 could be done for less or more, really depends on what you want to use and what you have laying around.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM

i decided i wanted the neck of mine to be 12 inches tall based on how big my foam circle was. i cut a second 12 in strip for the base of the dryer. the wood i was using was .5 in thick, so i then cut two 5.75 in strips to go on either side of it when assembled into a T. i used a small cup to help me free hand the support and then cut that out with a jig saw. i sanded all the peices with a belt sander, wiped the saw dust off and then put on a coat of polyurethane. 3 hrs later i sanded all the peices with 320 grit sand paper until they were as smooth as i wanted and assembled the hole thing together with mostly 1" wood screws but that really depends on what wood your using. i mounted the motor to where the power cord would be coming straing down out of the housing. the screws i used to mount it were 3/8" long and i used washers as well.

mock up:

coat of polyurethane:
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM

the way i mounted the plaque to the motor was kinda complicated. i found and marked the exact center of the plaque. i then drilled a hole just big enough that the machine screws that i bought could pass through. i then basically bolted the plaque onto the machine screw with the nuts that came with the screws and some washers that i bought for the screws. the machine screws i bought were just big enough to fit inside the shaft of the motor that i bough. i filled the hollow shaft with epoxy, slid the screw with the plaque mounted to it inside the shaft and let it set for a few hours. dont try to move it around to early while the epoxy is weak. JB weld might work even better than epoxy but i couldn't find mine. if your motor doesn't have a hollow shaft, youll have to figure something else out.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM

motor shaft:

i then epoxied the foam bulletin to the plaque. finished product:

final thoughts: i spent a little less than i would have on the battery powered one at cabelas, but now ill never have to buy batteries or worry about it running out of juice while drying my flies. i also enjoy stuff like this so i did not mind. there are many different ways to do this so use your imagination and do lots of research before buying the wrong stuff. ive seen them made from BBQ rotesserie motors and old microwave motors. google is your friend. hope this helps.

http://www.onlineflytyer.com/article_drier1.asp
http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/epoxy_rotor/
http://flyartstudio.com/wordpress/?p=127

Last edited by jackh; 08-04-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: homemade epoxy dryer

Very nice job.

I used a small batterry operated one for awile, but the batteries died when I wasn't paying attention and all the epoxy sagged on the flies.

Now I use an AC driven rotisserie thing for a grill. The long arm runs through the handles of a milk crate, and the spike prongs get speared into a block of styro foam. The thing is a bit of a beast since it takes up a lot of room, I like yours a lot better!

mark
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Very nice job.

Now I use an AC driven rotisserie thing for a grill. The long arm runs through the handles of a milk crate, and the spike prongs get speared into a block of styro foam. The thing is a bit of a beast since it takes up a lot of room, I like yours a lot better!

mark
I use a rotisserie motor also that I found in the rubble of a torn down building....really
I carved a square 'male section' into a chunk of broomstick and pegged the end so that it expended when it was knocked into the square hole on the motor
For foam, a slice of lobster bouy fits right over the dowel
It's not nearly a nice as jackh's but it works
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jack

You did a really fine job on the epoxy dryer!

Larry
Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM

thanks everyone! just thought id post pics and info on my build for others future reference. peregrines, i think ive seen a pic of yours on here, that thing is a beast haha. looks like you could dry like 30 flies at once on that thing
Old 08-09-2009, 06:04 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Very Nice Jack, bet its nicer then the store bought one, good build!!!