The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Which Vise???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Madness View Post
I recently received my Nor-Vise. Moving from a Thompson A, I'm going through a learning curve as I transition to the NV. It's a bit like learning to use a sewing machine after years of hand sewing.
Hi Trout Madness,

How are you making out with your Nor Vise? What do you think about the automatic bobbin?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't have any of those but I have heard good thinks about all. I guess it boils down to your personal preference. I have a Dyna King Barracuda Jr. and wouldn't trade it.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Trout Madness is on a distinguished road

Frank, I took my 10 year old grandson to The Flyfishing Show and he was fascinated by the flytyers. He bought a grab bag of material and wanted me to teach him to tie flies. He's working on the old Tompson A and to keep from confusing him as we tie together I lock up the Nor-Vise with the Fine Point Conversion. Hence, I haven't had the time to do more than slowly familiarize myself with the many features.

The Automatic Bobbin is a stroke of genius. I asked Norm Norlander of which he was most proud, the vise or the bobbin. He hesitated for a second or two then said he was pretty pround of the bobbin. Designing a spring loaded wheel with a clutch was a real challange.

I also think Colorado Cajun is absolutely right when he said it all boils down to personal preferences. Asking a man about his vise is like asking him about his pick up, his dog, or his whiskey.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Madness View Post
The Automatic Bobbin is a stroke of genius. I asked Norm Norlander of which he was most proud, the vise or the bobbin. He hesitated for a second or two then said he was pretty pround of the bobbin. Designing a spring loaded wheel with a clutch was a real challange.
That bobin is a great device. If more peple tried them they would be very popular. I think the price keeps people from buying them.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Joe and Frank, please don't take this the wrong way with the following statement: "With age, comes great wisdom."

I had the opportunity to tie with the Nor-vise this weekend. Boy Oh Boy, what a vise. I have been walking the fence for a long time as too what vise to buy but after tying with the Nor-vise I think I have truely made my mind up. Everything I tried was so much simplier with the Nor-vise. Hackling and dubbing is not the same with any other vise that is on the market today.

As the misplaced Cajun mentioned it is all a matter of personal preferences.

Thanks for showing me the light. Now, to come up with the greenbacks to pay for it.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hi Terry,

There are a bunch of rotary vises out there but none of them will spin a fly like the Nor-Vise. The Nor-Bobbin works just as good as the vise. You won't be sorry you picked the Nor-Vise. It is a few bucks but will last a lifetime.

Wisdom, age, yes I have a lot of both.