The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Which Vise???

OK, Folks! What's ya'lls take of the following vises. I'm leaning to one of the first two but depending on how much I finally decide to spend.

Nor Vise http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index13.html

Renzetti Traveler Cam Vise http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index17.html

Peak Vise http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index24.html

Danvise http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index3.html

As always, I appreciate anyones and everyones input.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which Vise???

I bought the renzetti traveler cam last year and love it. the only complaint that i have is with the carrying bag. they could've made it a little bigger. got it with the base and it's plenty stable. taking it to work tonight to show another guy at work how to use a whip finisher. my 2c. go with the renzetti.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:51 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I have got the Dan Vise. No reason to spend more.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got a Dan Vise and it has served me well for about 5 years. If I were doing it again, I would get a renzetti traveler, but I think I may be afflicted with the "grass is greener" syndrome on this one.

I think either vise will serve you very well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Renzetti Traveler. I have both the pedisatal and the clamp. It has so many accessories. I bought a extended body attachment for another vise and it works great on the R. Plus I have the cam and the thumb screw jaws. Cam is nice for fast change, but on more difficult flies I like the thumb screw so I don't hit the cam lever and drop the hook. I have had mine for 10 or better years and have replaced the "O" ring once, plus I e-mail Renzetti to find out where I could get the "O" ring and they sent me 5 with no charge. I should be good for a long time.
I can tie steelhead flies and also size 32's with no problem.
There are purdier vises out there, but they don't make the flies any better LOL
Old 04-29-2006, 08:25 AM

flyfishinginnewengland is on a distinguished road

I also have the Renzetti Love it
Old 03-04-2007, 01:21 AM

Trout Madness is on a distinguished road

I recently received my Nor-Vise. Moving from a Thompson A, I'm going through a learning curve as I transition to the NV. It's a bit like learning to use a sewing machine after years of hand sewing.

I chose the Standard NV with the added Fine Point Conversion because it offered the best of all worlds. The tyer has the three basic options. It works as a rotary vise. Lock it with the Fine Point jaws and you have a conventional vise. It is true spinning vise as the mounted hook is aligned dead on the center axis and is easily spun on the smooth ball bearing hub providing among other features, the slickest dubbing method.

The Automatic Bobbin Kit and the Fine Point Conversion are extra and complete the setup.

Visit nor-vise.com, click on MULTIMEDIA and view the videos.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Trout Madness is on a distinguished road

Just woke up to the date of your original posting! Which vise did you buy?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Trout Madness,

You will like your Nor Vise. I got mine after seeing one demonstrated at the Portland Sportsman show. The simple movement of locking the vise is outstanding. Mine is about 12 years old and doesn't have the new jaw locking design or the shaft speed adjustment. You made a good choice.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

TroutMadness,
I've borrowed one from a friend so far and have not been forced into buying one yet. The Nor-Vice seems to be a great vise for those that I have seen use them. I know two guys that swear by them and will never go back to any other kind. I guess I'll have to manage until my ship comes in. Thanks, for asking.
Thanks,
Terry