The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 10:07 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Photographing the fly

Just wondering if anyone could give me some tip's on backgrounds,basic lighting,and other ideas on photographing flies.I can't seem to get any half decent pictures of my flies with my digital camera.The macro is on and I have tried everything I can think of, maybe a different background or lighting changes,I dont know!I If anyone could pass along some advise that would be great. Thanks Aaron
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photographing the fly

I know what you mean. Iwill take several shots with different colored construction paper and I have a big sheet of cork I like. I read an article once that said to take a big plastic milk jug and cut it in half. Put a light either on top or behind for a nice effect. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks good on paper
I am sure you already know, but I will ask anyway. Do you use a tripod and do you push the shutter button slightly to focus?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:03 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum
Just wondering if anyone could give me some tip's on backgrounds,basic lighting,and other ideas on photographing flies.I can't seem to get any half decent pictures of my flies with my digital camera.The macro is on and I have tried everything I can think of, maybe a different background or lighting changes,I dont know!I If anyone could pass along some advise that would be great. Thanks Aaron
was wondering if you could post a picture of one of your flies? this might give us a better idea of what the problem may be.

i do know that with my digital camera if i press the button part way down it will do a check to see what settings it should use. i also tend to leave my lamp on and take the picture.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:36 PM

kayakcruser is on a distinguished road

just do not use a disposable camera........i had one full of flies i tied but they all came out duds

peacock hackle- $4.99

catching a fish on your own fly- priceless
Old 09-30-2006, 08:16 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

You might want to check this url for some tips on setting up for good photos of flies. I've followed their suggestions and have been getting some pretty good shots. Gartooth is a very accomplished tyer and photographer.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...ic.php?t=50665