The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stimmy7
  • 1 Post By patrickbmccabe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Jack Dennis Fly Tying DVD Collection

I'm considering purchasing the Jack Dennis full DVD collection Jack Dennis Fly Tying DVD Collection. What do you all think? I've read and heard great reviews including from the teacher at the fly tying class I just finished. I instructor was taught by Jack Dennis so he may be a bit biased.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Jack Dennis Fly Tying DVD Collection

Years ago, I purchased two of his instructional videos (Fly Tying Basics and Tying Western Trout Flies); they are both VHS - I said years ago. They are good, but I do not have any other videos to compare them with. I am sure that you can see similar videos (fly by fly) for free on the web today, but you cannot go wrong with Jack Dennis' videos. I used the videos and Randall Kaufmann's books to teach myself how to tie. I lived in Bolivia at the time.

I visited Dennis' Jackson Hole shop last summer. It was big, but it tended to be for the tourists - it had more clothing and souvenirs than fly fishing stuff. However, I cannot fault a store for stocking what sells for a profit.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Was never a student of Jack's but I did tie in his booth at a couple of ISE events in San Mateo and Pleasanton, CA. Jack's techniques are great, and the videos are all instructional and 'technique rich'- lots of good tips along with "how to tie a specific pattern" stuff in there.

His voice is easy to listen to, one thing that may not be too important to some, but some of these instructional videos? After I watched them once, I couldn't bring myself to watch them again, and I 're-gifted' them to friends. I've kept and re-watched Jack's.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
His voice is easy to listen to, one thing that may not be too important to some, but some of these instructional videos?
Are you referring to some the videos that are included in the collection I'm considering buying or just others that you have purchased and didn't care to watch again.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Are you referring to some the videos that are included in the collection I'm considering buying or just others that you have purchased and didn't care to watch again.

Just others Tom- there isn't any in Jack's series I have any problems with watching. The DVD collection has one benefit over the earlier versions- you don't get any duplicate videos/flies covered on different ones. In the videos and CDs, there were some overlaps of patterns.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I don't even know who Jack Dennis is. I learned how to tie mostly from You Tube videos, and Fly Fish Ohio videos etc...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Ask Jack Dennis...

Unfortunately the site has gotten real commercial, with less and less fly tying content and interaction with Jack. He's tied a lot of great flies over the years and created patterns that are STILL very succesful on waters fiished over quite a bit in Wyoming and Montana.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that link, I will check it out.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM

patrickbmccabe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I'm considering purchasing the Jack Dennis full DVD collection Jack Dennis Fly Tying DVD Collection. What do you all think? I've read and heard great reviews including from the teacher at the fly tying class I just finished. I instructor was taught by Jack Dennis so he may be a bit biased.
I was taught by Frankie Mc Phillips and his DVD Set Really helped me refresh some of the little details I had forgotten. he REALLY knows his stuff about Irish flies, and with 400 fresh water lakes within 30 miles of his home in the Lakeland district, that's sayin something!!
Fly Tying DVD Set Frankie Mc Phillips, Christmas Gifts, Irish Fishing Flies by Frankie Mc Phillips : FLY
kelkay likes this.