The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

Hey all. So I've been noticing that a lot of fly tyers don't use just wire to rib their flies. As we all know, there is just a ton of stuff out there and I'm working on narrowing down the amount of materials I use.

So what is everybody else out there using to rib/segment their flies and why/why not?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fluro Fibre, Holo Tinsel, Krystal Flash, Wire, blah, blah, blah

wire, tinsel, holo flash, krystal flash, depends on the fly....

d
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

for the flies i tie, essentially atlantic salmon flies and soft hackles and the odd whatever, wire and the various tinsels are all I use for ribbing. But I use a LOT of different "flashes" otherwise in my flies.
Flashingly,
Gary
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Depends on the fly, but I mostly use wire. Sometimes, however, I'll use mono, tying thread, tinsel, or Krystal Flash.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM

bhakulin is on a distinguished road

Chartreus Krystal flash, one strand of peacock herl or midge braid and then fine gold wire over PMD dubbing works great on a nymph and streamers with 3 strands peacock herl ribbed with large hot orange wire gets their attention
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

I still use a lot wire, actually copper lamp cord wire, for ribbing However, the various flash materials are fun and useful in a variety of ways.

If you want to keep it simple, I would recommend getting some Pearl and maybe Black Krystal Flash. You can use these for
ribbing,
wings or wing accents on emergers,
legs on nymphs,
wingcases on nymphs (tie in a small bunch and twist into a braid)
accents on streamers and wooley buggers
Old 04-05-2014, 05:39 PM

powderfinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
wire, tinsel, holo flash, krystal flash, depends on the fly....

d
me too plus, D-rib and midge diamond braid.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i use blah, blah and blah

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhakulin View Post
Chartreuse Krystal flash, one strand of peacock hurl or midge braid and then fine gold wire over PMD dubbing works great on a nymph and streamers with 3 strands peacock hurl ribbed with large hot orange wire gets their attention
I'd love to see a picture of this fly. I suspect this fly could be a 'killer' for Fall King Salmon fishing.

fae
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I wanna tie a big fly. Use a bowling ball for a bead,,,then some bicycle inner tubes cut into strings for tailing fiber,,,wrap the body with long fiber indoor carpet strips, use rusted barbed wire for ribbing, and cut a sheet off an old tarp for a wing case. A couple old boat sails for wings,, then dub up a thorax with Sasquatch hair,,,fold the tarp patch over that and tie it in at the hook eye with a another strand of rusted barbed wire. Then put Thompson water seal all over it. I could find an old coffin for a fly box I bet....

Then go catch me a big fish.