The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Brassie On a Scud Hook or no Nah?

I'm going through Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book and the first fly is a Brassie he uses the Tiemco 100 and 100SP-BL on this one too. I discovered by the way the reason he does that is that the Tiemco 100 has a wider range of hook sizes than nymph hooks and the 100SP-BL though it comes a less wider range, it is identicle except for it does come in sizes small than 20. He also said in his book that he uses these on other nymphs for the same reason, kind of makes good sense. Now I understand that this Brassies were originally tied on nymph hooks.

However, it got me to thinking since these are used as both midge imitations and in larger sizes with the right wire colors as caddis nymph immitations wouldn't it be even better to tie them on a scud hook! Don't both midges and caddis larva when they are floating in the water kind have that same arched body position... or am I mixing them up in my mind with something else, I've seen in underwater bug movies?

What do you all think?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brassie On a Scud Hook or no Nah?

You will find people tie these on either a nymph hook or a scud hook. I have made up a few of each.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tom,
One of the issues of using a 2457 scud hook is that it is available down to size 18. If you want to tie in smaller sizes, you can use the 2487 which is the same shape. But you are going to give up some hook strength.

Another option is the 2488H. One of my friends ties his Brassies with it. The 2488H uses 2x heavy wire, and it is available down to size 22. It also has a 3x wide gape which may help for better hooksets.

MP
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Dennis, Thanks for the heads up. Justin has as 2457 in his hooks that goes down to size 20 so if I want 22 I'll buy a package of 2488H.

Tom
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.